The Birthful Podcast: Summer Birth Stories 2016 #4
We continue on our “Birth Stories” for the summer series! Emily Alsheskie never really had any experience around children -nor was she all that excited about having kids. Oh, how things change! Check out her awesome and unconventional home water birth story, that happened while she lived in a small apartment, while going to school. Plus, many of the things she did to prepare for her birth, including hypnobirthing, chiropractic, saltwater pool, birthing affirmations, deep meditation, and more.
To listen here, click the play button on the player above, or click the button below to listen in iTunes.
Some of what we talked about:
- How she connected with baby during pregnancy, to lessen fears
- Listening to her gut: switching from birth center to homebirth
- Third stage of labor, and bleeding
- All the prep things: hypnobirthing, chiropractic, saltwater pool, birthing affirmations, deep meditation…
- And details of her awesome story. Duh. 🙂
Some of Emily’s favorite resources for birth preparation:
- Birthing from Within: An Extra-Ordinary Guide to Childbirth Preparation, By Pam England
- HypnoBirthing, Fourth Edition: The natural approach to safer, easier, more comfortable birthing – The Mongan Method, 4th Edition
- The Business of Being Born
Other Birthful episodes that relate to, or are mentioned throughout this story:
- Self-hypnosis for Pain Management, with Julietta Appleton (episode #34)
- Baby’s Position and Labor Flow, with Gail Tully (episode #32)
- Chiropractic Care, with Dr. Elliot Berlin, (episode #73)
- Healing Your Birth Story, with Pam England, (episode #49)
This episode is brought to you by Natural Breastfeeding,
and their FREE Quick Start Video. Go watch it at
All photos are used with permission, courtesy of Emily Alsheskie, and were taken by ©Helena Benediktsdóttir.
Like the music on the podcast?:
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.