Happy Summer, northern hemisphere! With this episode we kick off our 2017 “Birth Stories for the Summer” series!
For the next 11 weeks, I’m switching the spotlight from the birth pros to the mighty mamas, who share what real-life birth looks like. Today, Kally McConnell shares her glorious VBAC story, all the things she did differently to prepare compared with her first birth, and how there was no time for the tub. Check it out!
To listen here, click the play button on the player above, or click the button below to listen in iTunes.
What we talked about:
- When you don’t know what to expect, anything can happen
- Nutrition as an important part of your birth preparations
- Doing all the things: provider, doula, books, movies, hypnosis and more!
- The 4:30 am POP!
- Do you really know how to get to the hospital?
- Forget the oils and music – I’ll just close my eyes
- No time for the tub
- Labor contractions vs. pushing contractions vs. Pitocin contractions
- “I knew I could do it!” – “I knew you could do it.”
- The postpartum doula experience
- Committing, with flexibility
Resources mentioned by Kally, and more!*:
- Finding a Postpartum doula (DONA’s directory) (DoulaMatch.net)
- Business of Being Born
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth, by Ina May Gaskin
- Birthing from Within, by Pam England
- Birthing Normally After a Cesarean or Two, by Helene Vadeboncoeur
Related Birthful episodes:
All photos are used with permission, courtesy of Kally McConnell
About Kally McConnell
Kally McConnell is a stay-at-home mom to two fun little girls: Mack, 3, and Brynn, 2 months. A former sales & marketing professional and admitted junk food junky, Kally opened herself up to the holistic world after recognizing her first daughter’s predictable reactions to certain foods. This inspired her to get her certification in holistic nutrition so she could help herself and her family make better food choices. Through this education, she learned that the health of a child can be determined way before you’re deciding not to let them eat Cheetos for dinner every night. Thanks in large part to Adriana and Birthful, she is now passionate about birth and is an aspiring birth and postpartum doula. She plans on starting to work towards her certifications once she has her new baby sleeping through the night 🙂
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.