The Birthful Podcast: Summer Birth Stories 2017 #5
We continue with our “Birth Stories” for the summer series! Today’s story comes from Elizabeth Nigro, who first broke up with her OB, then was in denial that labor was even happening, but once she let go of perfect, she ended up with an amazingly beautiful birth where she felt safe, supported and like a superwoman. Check it out!
What we talked about:
- The value of joining a positive birth group
- Breaking up with your OB
- Long naps, irritable, cramping: what does it mean?
- Ignoring it until it can’t be ignored anymore
- Letting go of perfect
- A bumpy, and icy drive
- “We’re doing no talking”
- The hospital as a happy place
- Preparing not to be disappointed
- Visualizing the power of birthing women
- “I can do hard things”
- The joy of meeting baby
- Why you should set up your postpartum support and plan ahead of time**
- Loving the baby you got
This episode is brought to you by
winner of the Woman’s Choice Award 6 years straight, and loved by exhausted moms everywhere.
Learn more at MomsNeedSleep.com/birthful
And also by
created specifically for those trying to conceive, pregnant, or new moms.
Learn more and sign up for a two-week free trial at expectful.com/birthful
Resources mentioned on the show*:
- Business Of Being Born
- Birth by the Numbers – Dr. Gene Declercq’s website
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth, by Ina May Gaskin
- How to Conceive Naturally: And Have a Healthy Pregnancy after 30, by – this was Elizabeth’s “pregnancy bible!”
- Inductions, with Dr. Gene Declercq (EP#20)
- The Holistic Stages of Birth, with Whapio (Part 1 – EP#57)
- The Holistic Stages of Birth, with Whapio (Part 2 – EP#58)
- Tongue and Lip Ties, with Dianne Cassidy (EP#13)
All photos are used with permission, courtesy of Elizabeth Nigro
Elizabeth lives in Westchester with her husband and son where she practices as a marriage and family therapist. Her approach to her family and work is restorative, holistic and nurturing. She enjoys everything birth and baby related, growing in her spirituality through her church and community, cooking, yoga and nature. Elizabeth delights in living a holistic lifestyle and enjoying things as they were originally created… naturally, especially motherhood. Find out more at Elizabethlmft.com
*May contain affiliate links. This means that I may get a small percentage of what you buy, and that is one of the ways of helping me continue to do this podcast – Thank you!
Like the music on the podcast?:
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.