The Birthful Podcast: Summer Birth Stories 2017 #7
We continue with our “Birth Stories” for the summer series! Today’s story comes from Candice Hodges, who for weeks had to navigate scare tactics, conflicting advice from care providers, and modified bedrest, not to mention the logistics of a long induction, in order to embrace the chaos and have a birth that resembled what she intended. Check it out!
What we talked about:
- Her background in Olympic weightlifting, and focusing on having a very healthy pregnancy
- Concerns about her baby being “really small” and having IntraUterine Growth Restriction (IUGR)
- The stress of conflicting messages from providers
- “It’s completely unacceptable that you scared the shit out of her during the prenatals”
- The power of the words: “this is your choice”
- Having a long induction
- Embracing the chaos to get through it
- Wanting to be done and pushing with all her might!
- The joy of finally meeting baby!
Mentioned resources and other useful links*:
- Waiting for birth or inducing found equally effective for women with intrauterine growth restriction, from Science Daily
- Intrauterine Growth Restriction- What Do We Really Know?, from Beyond Birth Support Doula Services (with reference to much evidence nad studies)
- The Transcervical Foley Balloon
- The Happiest Baby on the Block, by Dr. Harvey Karp
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth, by Ina May Gaskin
- Origins: How the Nine Months Before Birth Shape the Rest of Our Lives, by Annie Murphy Paul
- Exercising Through Your Pregnancy, by James F. Clapp III
Related podcast episodes:
- Protecting Your Perineum, with Rachel Reed, episode #38
- Inductions, with Dr. Gene Declercq, episode #20
- Effects of Stress During Pregnancy, with Parijat Deshpande, episode #101
All photos are used with permission, courtesy of Candice Hodges
*May contain affiliate links. This means that I may get a small percentage of what you buy, and that is one of the ways of helping me continue to do this podcast – Thank you!
Like the music on the podcast?:
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.