We continue still with our “Birth Stories” for the summer series! Today’s story comes from Shani Stidham, who did a whole lot of soul searching and preparation in early pregnancy, and set things up so she’d have the environment and support she needed to explore birth on her own terms, and have a glorious postpartum to boot! Check it out!
What we talked about:
- Exploring options of where to give birth – even considering The Farm!
- Preparing for a homebirth and finding the right care provider
- Is it early labor? Why not try going to a few open houses
- There’s always time for a bagel stop
- Setting up the right environment to go deep
- She’s having mango sorbet? Call the midwife!
- That feeling when it’s not as bad as you thought
- Stupid birth-pool logistics
- Listening to her inner birth giver and birth junkie at the same time
- Getting some solo time
- Alternating pushing with sleeping
- Born in the caul!
- Letting herself be mothered in 5-day postpartum bliss
- The importance of planning your postpartum period and support as you would for your birth (This can help! – Check it out)
Resources mentioned by Shani*:
- The Business of Being Born
- The Farm
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth, by Ina May Gaskin
- Ask Dr. Sears
Related Birthful episodes:
- Your Baby, The Mammal (Part 1), with Diane Wiessinger
- Self-hypnosis for Pain Management, with Julietta Appleton
- Going Diaper Free with Elimination Communication, with Andrea Olson
All photos are used with permission, courtesy of Shani Stidham
Title music: “Vibe Ace” by Kevin MacLeod, from the Free Music Archive / CC BY (edited for length).
Sponsorship music: “Air Hockey Saloon” by Chris Zabriskie, from the Free Music Archive / CC BY (edited for length).
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.