The Birthful Podcast: Summer Birth Stories 2017 #8
We continue still with our “Birth Stories” for the summer series! Today’s story comes from Shani Stidham, who did a whole lot of soul searching and preparation in early pregnancy, and set things up so she’d have the environment and support she needed to explore birth on her own terms, and have a glorious postpartum to boot! Check it out!
What we talked about:
- Exploring options of where to give birth – even considering The Farm!
- Preparing for a homebirth and finding the right careprovider
- Is it early labor? Why not try going to a few open houses
- There’s always time for a bagel stop
- Setting up the right environment to go deep
- She’s having mango sorbet? Call the midwife!
- That feeling when it’s not as bad as you thought
- Stupid birth-pool logistics
- Listening to her inner birth giver and birth junkie at the same time
- Getting some solo time
- Alternating pushing with sleeping
- Born in the caul!
- Letting herself be mothered in 5-day postpartum bliss
- The importance of planning your postpartum period and support as you would for your birth (This can help! – Check it out)
This episode is brought to you by
dedicated to taking the hassle out of getting your breastpump covered by insurance.
Learn more at AeroflowBreastpumps.com/birthful
And also by
created specifically for those trying to conceive, pregnant, or new moms.
Learn more and sign up for a two-week free trial at expectful.com/birthful
Resources mentioned by Shani*:
- The Business of Being Born
- The Farm
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth, by Ina May Gaskin
- Ask Dr. Sears
Related podcast episodes:
- Your Baby, The Mammal, with Diane Wiessinger (Part 1), episode #52
- Self-hypnosis for pain management, with Julietta Appleton, episode #34
- Elimination Communication, with Andrea Olson, episode #60
All photos are used with permission, courtesy of Shani Stidham
*May contain affiliate links. This means that I may get a small percentage of what you buy, and that is one of the ways of helping me continue to do this podcast – Thank you!
Like the music on the podcast?:
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.