9COVID-19 Resources for New and Expectant Parents
Times are uncertain, stress is plentiful. But do you know what else is plentiful? The number of resources being made available online! It seems like every time we open our inboxes, we are receiving more and more support groups, online courses, videos, and one-pagers. While all of this information is valuable, it’s coming in pieces, so we wanted to create a place for our mighty Birthful community to come and get it all in one place.
Last updated Mon 5/31/2021
Preparing for Birth
- Preparing for Birth in the time of COVID-19 by Molly Deutschbein.
- Birthing in the Time of COVID-19: A Free Birth Class on YouTube, from EvidenceBasedBirth.com
- Positions for labor and pushing, and comfort measures on Facebook, from Natural Baby Doulas
- COVID-19 free resource packet, from Praeclarus Press. – Download here.
- Parents Rights Bundle – 3 Handouts for the Hospital, From Birth Monopoly. – Download here.
These three one-page handouts are created to break down the concepts of Informed Consent and Refusal, Communication in the Hospital, and Hospital Policy to parents in a very simple way.
- Birthful Essentials for Uncertain Times. See the episode playlist here.
Other great resources:
- Hospital Policy Tracker: Doulas and visitors (united states) – from Birth Monopoly (scroll to the bottom of the page)
- The March of Dimes has created a great one-page handout COVID-19: Things To Know If You Are Pregnant, along with a COVID-10 Pandemic Resources and Support page.
- Postpartum Support International offers several resources on their website. And for urgent requests they have a helpline: 1-800-944-4773 and texting service, in English (503-894-9453) or Spanish (971-420-0294).
- Virtual Postpartum Support Group from Doulas of the Southwest. Every Monday 10AM MST or 3PM MST. Get the zoom meeting info here.
- Virtual Support Groups from Postpartum Support International on a range of topics from Perinatal Mood Support Groups to Military Mom Support. See the weekly schedule and enroll here.
- Free Postpartum Support Group from Carriage House Birth, every Tuesday at 3PM EST for Virtual Hangs with other new parents. We will process, share and laugh! Facilitated by Samantha Huggins CD (CHB), CBC Join the group here.
- 4th Trimester Project shares ways to find and build a local ‘parent village’ online. See the post here.
- Parenting Village offers free virtual circles for parenting support. Their Out of the Blue, postpartum mental health support circle meets 2nd and 4th Mondays of the month at 10 am EST, and their Baby/Toddler Circle for parents with babies or toddlers meets Tuesdays at 10:30 am EST. You can find the zoom links on their Facebook page.
- The Motherhood Collective has launched a series of conversations (TMC Talks) on Facebook. Here are two good episodes: pediatrician Dr. Rachel Gagan shares a positive perspective on restricting visitors while at home with a newborn, and MMHLA Executive Director Adrienne Griffen talks about tips for managing stress and anxiety during the coronavirus pandemic.
Virtual Lactation Services
- Alison Spath, IBCLC at Beautiful Birth Choices in Rochester, NY is also doing virtual and phone consultations to help new breastfeeding families. See more information here.
- Dianne Cassidy, IBCLC a private lactation consultant and friend of the podcast is also doing consultations via phone or Skype. Check her out here.
- The San Diego Breastfeeding Center is also offering virtual consultations. These private lactation visits are for the breastfeeding parent (and their partners) who are having breastfeeding challenges. See more information here.
- Sarah Lang, IBCLC at Milk Sprout is set up for virtual consultations for all needs, and breastfeeding education classes. She does mini consults for troubleshooting, flange fit, and weaning, as well as full scale consultations, all online. Learn more about her e-consults here.
Virtual Postpartum Doula Support
- Village Birth International and Doula 4 A Queen is offering virtual doula care – FREE for all our pregnant, breastfeeding and at-home mamas. We want to ensure pregnant and parenting families continue to receive the ongoing education, guidance and reassurance needed to make informed decisions during this time of social isolation. Contact them via Instagram.
- The Doula’s Garden offers virtual postpartum support packages in increments of several weeks. Instead of the typical in-person support, the doulas supply emotional and educational support through online mediums, email, and informational videos. See more information here.
Free or discounted Classes/Webinars
- Prenatal, postpartum, and child yoga classes online from FlowerCityYoga. 5 classes for $30. See the schedule. They also offer ongoing monthly support groups for: Yoga and Support Group for Fertility, Yoga After Pregnancy and Infant Loss, Pregnancy Support Group, and Yoga and Support Group for Sexual Assault Survivors.
- March for Moms. Their advocacy page is filled with great ways to get involved in improving the state of maternal health.
- PL+US (Paid Leave for the United States) is the national campaign to win paid family leave by 2022. Read their Coronavirus and Paid Leave page shock-filled with info, or participate in their advocacy campaigns.
Want to help safeguard the right of all laboring people to have support during the COVID-19 crisis? Several states in the US and Canada have started petitions to ensure these rights are protected. Click through and sign them all to help families around North America (if you have a petition worth adding to this list, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “FOR YOUR COVID RESOURCES PAGE.”)
Pennsylvania — Sign here.
New Jersey — Sign here.
Massachusetts — Sign here.
Ohio — Sign here.
Ontario, Canada — Sign here.
VICTORY! New York State — Sign here.
VICTORY! California — Sign here.
VICTORY! Quebec, Canada — Sign here.
Pregnancy & Breastfeeding
- Fast facts from CDC on Pregnancy & Breastfeeding. Read them here.
- Professor Amy Brown, Director of the centre for Lactation, Infant Feeding and Translation at Swansea University, shares advice on breastfeeding ruing the Coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis. See the YouTube Video.
World Health Organization (WHO) COVID-19 Infographics. See them here
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.