After giving birth twice before, Victoria thought she had life with a newborn pretty much figured out. But when her third daughter was born fussy crying and frustrated, the thought running through Victoria’s mind was that something was off with this baby. What followed were weeks searching for that elusive one thing that would make everything good for her child, and not necessarily wanting to hear that maybe this is just who she was… Check it out.
What we talked about:
- Replenishing herself before going through another birth
- How pregnancy pushed her to get better
- This crazy fast birth!
- Being a doula vs. the person giving birth
- Knowing that vaginal checks mean nothing… and still being disappointed
- Catching her own baby!
- Meeting this unsettled and upset baby
- “Something is off with you…”
- “Will someone take my baby for a bit? Please!”
- Musings on what may have been “off” about her baby
- Trying to figure out that one thing…
- Maybe this is just who she is
- Improving what they could: addressing the lip and tongue ties with supportive therapies
- Adapting to her “dysregulated” baby
- How did they get through this?
- That moment when she realized they were over the hump
- The power of self-regulation and shifting expectations
- The power of independent baby movement
Resources and links to info mentioned on the show:
- @tonguetiebabies Instagram account by Michelle Emanuel
- Herbal Perineal Spray, by Earth Mama
- Dr. Harvey Karp’s The Happiest Baby on the Block (book) (video) – includes the 5’s
- Expectful app for meditation (use this link to get a free month of Expectful)
Related podcast episodes:
- Support Trumps Stubbornness, with Victoria Wilson (sharing her first two birth stories)
- Effects of Stress During Pregnancy, with Parijat Deshpande (high-risk pregnancy expert)
- Understanding & Calming Your Baby, with Carrie Contey
- Tongue and Lip Ties, with Dianne Cassidy
- Suck, Swallow and Breathe, with Alison Hazelbaker
Sign-up to for a FREE copy of my
About Victoria Wilson
Victoria Wilson CD(DONA) is grateful to be a doula and childbirth educator; she is passionate about birth work and improving maternity care in the United States. She is married to an incredibly supportive husband, mom to three spunky daughters, and deeply enjoys working in her doula practice. In 2018 she gratefully accepted a position with Evidence Based Birth® as Operations Director and has been loving making contributions to the maternity care field there. She probably drinks too much coffee and enjoys attempting DIY projects in her Kentucky home.
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.