I talk with Robin Kaplan about the importance of a good nursing latch, along with what you can do if your baby has a shallow latch, a leaky latch, is developing sucking blisters, or takes way too long to feed, as well as how to save your nipples, and what to do when your older baby suddenly develops an uncomfortable latch. Check it out!
What we talked about:
- Why is a good latch important for baby?
- Why is it important for the lactating person?
- Why is it important for the milk supply?
- What does a good latch look like?
- If latch is not great, what can you do to improve it?
- Consequences of a bad latch
- Dealing with a shallow latch
- “Sucking blisters”
- You don’t just “nipple feed”!
- If baby takes a long time to feed, is that a sign of something needing to change?
- Keeping your baby constantly sucking
- Keeping your baby awake
- Switch nursing
- Are your nipples sore again?
- When an uncomfortable latch develops with an older baby (2-3mo, 3-4mo, 4+mo)
- The trick to unlatching
- “Leaky latch”
Great videos, links and resources*:
- San Diego Breastfeeding Center
- Latch: A Handbook for Breastfeeding with Confidence at Every Stage, book by Robin (signed copy, or through Amazon)
- San Diego Breastfeeding Center Foundation
- San Diego Nursing in Public (SDNIP) Task Force
- The Boob Group Podcast, with Robin Kaplan (part of Parents of Demand)
- The Flipple, You Tube video (even though baby is not that happy to demonstrate this!)
- Silicone pumps/milk catchers: Haakaa, and NatureBond
- 11 Breastfeeding Need-to-Knows, with Robin Kaplan
- Jaundice, with Jack Newman
- Nursing in Public, with Michelle Hickman
Sign-up to for a FREE copy of my
About Robin Kaplan
Robin Kaplan is an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant and the owner of the San Diego Breastfeeding Center. Since starting her center in 2009, Robin has become an established voice in the parenting world known equally for her knowledge about lactation and her commitment to supporting families without judging them, a keystone of the SDBFC philosophy. Robin is the founding host of The Boob Group podcast, the founder of the San Diego Nursing in Public Task Force, and also the president of the San Diego Breastfeeding Center Foundation, which provides low-cost lactation consultations for low-income families. Robin is also a prolific writer for SDBFC’s blog and she released her first book, Latch: A Handbook for Breastfeeding with Confidence at Every Stage, in 2018.
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.