Melissa Statler had a quick and mostly flowing birth. Feeling elated, she placed her newborn to her breast, only to be met with excruciating pain and instant damage to her nipples. As her confidence drained, she was informed that because her baby was large for gestational age, she would have to meet certain sugar level requirements during the first series of feedings, adding stress to injury. How did Melissa overcome these and more breastfeeding problems, to have the satisfying and nurturing breastfeeding relationship she has today? Go listen.
What we talked about:
- A fast birth with shoulder dystocia
- Feeling prepared to breastfeed (almost cocky)
- First latch and all the confidence dissolves
- Immense pain at every feeding, nipple shield helps a little
- Dealing with the extra stress of monitoring baby’s sugar levels
- Glucose get and donor milk
- Trying not to catastrophize
- Tongue thrusting and tongue exercises
- So many lactation consultants, so much advice
- Going home: less pain, more confidence
- But her weight keeps dropping
- Triple-feeding cycle
- When do you sleep?
- And now we have nipple blanching
- Craniosacral Therapy
- Love/hate relationship with her pump
- Back to birth weight!
- About that nipple shield…
- Why did you keep going?
- The wonders of a lactation consultant via video-chat at 3 am
- Pump flanges and nipple shields come in different sizes
- We are out of the weeds!
- Now thrush?!?!
- The importance of your support system
Resources mentioned and other helpful links*:
- What is a nipple shield? from Kelly Mom
- Guide to Choosing the Right Breast Shield Size, from Milk Bar Breast Pumps (with video from Medela)
- Video on flange sizes, by @thebadassbreastfeeder
- Triple Feeding – Nursing, Pumping, and Bottle Feeding, from Exclusively Pumping
- Breastfeed, pump, top-up. Tips for “Triple feeding” and how to eventually stop, from The Milk Meg
- Latch: A Handbook for Breastfeeding with Confidence at Every Stage, by Robin Kaplan
- Online Simply Breastfeeding From Day One course, by Cindy and Jana (use the code BIRTHFUL for 15% off)
- 24/7 LC Breastfeeding Support, from Medela (you can get a free one-month trial when you get your pump directly through them)
- Nipple blanching and vasospasm, from KellyMom.com
Related Birthful episodes:
- Big Babies and Shoulder Dystocia, with Rachel Reed
- Newborn Sugar Levels and Breastfeeding, with Dr. Casey Rosen-Carole
- Milksharing, with Amber McCann
- Why Optimal Baby Oral Function Matters, with Michelle Emanuel
- All About Pumping!, with Nancy Mohrbacher
- Breastfeeding your Newborn, with Dr. Jack Newman
- Why Breastfeeding a Newborn is Different, with Theresa Nesbitt
- Safer Bedsharing, with Teresa Pitman
Sign-up to for a FREE copy of my
About Melissa Statler
Melissa Statler is a writer, photographer, and first-time mom from the western slope of Colorado. As a former educator, she loves both the process of learning and the sharing of knowledge. As a mother, she believes in the indispensable power of community and support from other women.
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.