In this Birthful Story I talk with Michelle Onaka about the many twist and turns of her path towards becoming a mom, starting with a her fertility journey, completely gutting their house during her pregnancy, and a fabulous waterbirth. Having overcome all those obstacles, she’d figured life with a newborn would be par for the course. However, that was not quite so. Check it out!
What we talked about:
- The importance of fertility tracking
- How a self-proclaimed “over preparer” and “over planner” gets ready for birth
- Dealing with sciatic nerve pain
- Tearing out the walls – literally!
- Returning curtains and other early labor errands
- Something must be up if you suddenly are able to take a nap
- Dealing with back pressure
- Confusion and denial
- A super strong Fetal Ejection Reflex!
- The feeling of crowning
- You don’t need internal cervical checks to have a baby
- “That’s a baby!”
- Difficulties in latching (or when others latch your baby for you)
- Getting over the initial breastfeeding roadblocks with helpful support
- How to encourage more feedings and better breastfeeding
Related resources for birth and postpartum preparation shared by Michelle*:
- The Business of Being Born (documentary)
- Taking Charge of Your Fertility, by Toni Weschler (book) (website)
- Expecting Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom Is Wrong–and What You Really Need to Know, by Emily Oster
- Get Me Out: A History of Childbirth from the Garden of Eden to the Sperm Bank, by Randi Hutter Epstein M.D.
- The Thinking Woman’s Guide to a Better Birth, Henci Goer (book) (website)
- The Happy Sleeper, by Heather Turgeon MFT and Julie Wright MFT
- 4 hypnotic tricks to get your baby to sleep (YouTube video)
Postpartum Preparation Course:
- Thrive With Your Newborn postpartum preparation class
Related Birthful episodes:
- Rethinking the Pushing Stage, with Whapio
- Fertility Before & After Pregnancy, with Emily Varnam & Kelsey Knight
- The Fertility Rollercoaster, with Heidi Brockmyre
- Fertility and Age, with Lisa Doran
- Safer Bedsharing, with Teresa Pitman
All photos used with permission, courtesy of Michelle Onaka
Title music: “Vibe Ace” by Kevin MacLeod, from the Free Music Archive / CC BY (edited for length).
Sponsorship music: “Air Hockey Saloon” by Chris Zabriskie, from the Free Music Archive / CC BY (edited for length).
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.