In this Birthful Story I talk with Michelle Onaka about the many twist and turns of her path towards becoming a mom, starting with a her fertility journey, completely gutting their house during her pregnancy, and a fabulous waterbirth. Having overcome all those obstacles, she’d figured life with a newborn would be par for the course. However, that was not quite so. Check it out!
What we talked about:
- The importance of fertility tracking
- How a self-proclaimed “over preparer” and “over planner” gets ready for birth
- Dealing with sciatic nerve pain
- Tearing out the walls – literally!
- Returning curtains and other early labor errands
- Something must be up if you suddenly are able to take a nap
- Dealing with back pressure
- Confusion and denial
- A super strong Fetal Ejection Reflex!
- The feeling of crowning
- You don’t need internal cervical checks to have a baby
- “That’s a baby!”
- Difficulties in latching (or when others latch your baby for you)
- Getting over the initial breastfeeding roadblocks with helpful support
- How to encourage more feedings and better breastfeeding
Related resources for birth and postpartum preparation shared by Michelle*:
- The Business of Being Born (documentary)
- Taking Charge of Your Fertility, by Toni Weschler (book) (website)
- Expecting Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom Is Wrong–and What You Really Need to Know, by Emily Oster
- Get Me Out: A History of Childbirth from the Garden of Eden to the Sperm Bank, by Randi Hutter Epstein M.D.
- The Thinking Woman’s Guide to a Better Birth, Henci Goer (book) (website)
- The Happy Sleeper, by Heather Turgeon MFT and Julie Wright MFT
- 4 hypnotic tricks to get your baby to sleep (YouTube video)
Postpartum Preparation Course:
- Thrive With Your Newborn postpartum preparation class
Related Birthful episodes:
- Rethinking the Pushing Stage, with Whapio
- Fertility Before & After Pregnancy, with Emily Varnam & Kelsey Knight
- The Fertility Rollercoaster, with Heidi Brockmyre
- Fertility and Age, with Lisa Doran
- Safer Bedsharing, with Teresa Pitman
All photos used with permission, courtesy of Michelle Onaka
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.