Krista Thompson shares her progression from a prodromal labor that ended with her baby being taken to the NICU, to a precipitous second hospital birth with Fetal Ejection Reflex, and finally an unassisted-like homebirth experience. She also gives us a glimpse into her struggles with codependency, and why it was so important for her to take the reigns of her last pregnancy. Go listen.
What we talked about:
- A first long, prodromal birth with Chorioamnionitis markers and NICU separation
- Preparing and approaching birth vert differently
- Being a “labor denier”
- A comical drive to the hospital
- “Fill the tub!”
- Fetal Ejection Reflex
- From “they won’t let me” to “don’t touch me”
- Taking in her baby, with no separation
- An easier recovery
- Third time around… and filing for divorce
- Taking back her pregnancy
- Hands-off, mother-led care
- On her way to Laborland
- Asking for an unassisted-like experience
- Catching her own baby
Resources mentioned and other helpful links*:
- Prodromal Labor: A Survival Guide, from Emily Landry
- Chorioamnionitis, from Stanford Children’s Health
- Fetal Ejection Reflex – What Is It And How Does It Happen?, from Belly Belly
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth, by Ina May Gaskin
- TENS: The ‘Natural Labor’ Tool No One Talks About, from Fit Pregnancy UK
- Krista’s written birth story on her blog
- Co-Dependents Anonymous International (CODA.org)
Related Birthful episodes:
- Navigating the NICU, with Sue Hall
- Waterbirth, with Barbara Harper
- The Baby’s Birth Experience, with Karen Strange
- All About Midwives, with Melissa Cheyney
- 5 Physiologic Birth Mantras that Work, with Adriana Lozada
Sign-up to for a FREE copy of my
About Krista Thompson
Krista Thompson describes herself as a “recovering superwoman,” (and has the blog to back it up). Her addiction was never to a drug or chemical, but to herself. She loved thinking she could do it all and even loved trying to do it all. Until she realized that was no way to live a life. Now she’s taking her journey one day at a time.
Some of the areas that she’s currently passionate about are the Montessori method of education, codependency and empath recovery, being a working mom/lawyer mom, life with 3 kids under 3, and all things birth!
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.