In today’s episode, Adriana Lozada focuses on the essentials of partner labor support during this time of the pandemic. Many hospitals are limiting birth support to one healthy person, so we wanted to do a special episode on how to prepare for providing labor support during these times, and also help birth partners feel more confident about their active involvement in the process. Go listen.
What we talked about:
- Preparation for providing support in the times of COVID-19
- Determining your birth feelings
- Setting the stage
- Gathering your tools
- Requests for your nurse
- Follow the labor
- Tension release
- Move and rest; rest and move
- Bringing your calm
Helpful resources & links*:
- The Birth Partner’s Ultimate Labor Support Toolkit
- My Own Your Birth online birth prep series
- Birthful playlist of 6 essential episodes during uncertain times
- Coronavirus COVID-19 | Evidence Based Birth® Resource Page
- Resources for skilled lactation providers on COVID-19, from International Lactation Consultants Association
- People are Giving Birth Alone, Right Now, the petition from Change.org that made a difference with 613,659 signatures.
- ‘Women Will Not Be Forced to Be Alone When They Are Giving Birth,’ NYT article about Gov. Cuomo’s executive order
- Google search for petitions on Change.org to protect the right of having labor support (sign them all, or start your own!)
Related Birthful Episodes:
- Connecting With Your Baby in Utero, with Penny Simkin
- Prenatal Bonding, with Dr. Jay Warren
- The Power of Comforting Touch During Labor, with Yiska Obadia
Sign-up to for a FREE copy of my
View this post on Instagram
PREGNANCY DURING A PANDEMIC // With so much uncertainty around birth & delivery options, fears about receiving appropriate #prenatalcare , & anxieties about the everchanging policies around #laboranddelivery, my conversations with my #pregnant clients has taken a sharp turn in the last week or so. ? One common theme I’m seeing with my private clients and in the community at large is how much grief is present. There are many non-death losses that are happening for pregnant women around the world right now that need & deserve to be grieved. ? Grief is a physiologically taxing experience, especially during #pregnancy. So it’s critical that you allow yourself to release this grief as quickly as possible to prevent the stress from unresolved grief from impacting your #pregnancy & delivery. ? Check out Chapter 4 of Pregnancy Brain on grieving during pregnancy. I’m also working on a Pregnancy Brain course that takes stress release during pregnancy to a deeper level. Should be available in a week or two for you! Link in profile @healthy.highriskpregnancy. ? What are you grieving right now while being pregnant during a pandemic? Let us know below! ? #highriskpregnancy #pregnantafterloss #palssupport #recurrentpregnancyloss #pregnancyafterloss #pregnancyaftermiscarriage #preeclampsiaawareness #pregnantafterpreemie #pregnancyafterpreemie #lossmom #pregnantafterinfertility #IVFjourney #IVFbaby #rainbowbaby #miraclebaby #pregnantwithtwins #maternalfetalmedicine #laboranddeliverynurse #pregnantlife #pregnancybrainbook #mamaglow #ideservebirthsupport #pregnancyzone #doulalife
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.