Culturally, we may have this idealized dream of life with baby, where everything falls into place seamlessly, and that all you need to take care of your little one is love and the things on your registry. Oh, if it were so. Tracy Cutchlow helps examine those myths and more. Check it out.
Myths we busted:
- Everything about parenting, including breastfeeding, will come naturally.
- All you need is the right gear.
- You’ll get all you need in your baby shower.
- It won’t take long to find the new normal.
- A baby will only bring joy to your relationship.
- You should tell your boss you’ll rush back to work as soon as possible.
- You don’t need to save money before having a baby.
- New parents don’t need to be taken care of. Only baby needs to be taken care of.
- You should be able to do it alone.
- You can’t change the way things are.
Mentioned resources and additional links*:
- Zero to Five: 70 Essential Parenting Tips Based on Science, by Tracy Cutchlow
- This One Thing is the Biggest Predictor of Divorce – The Gottman Institute
- My (Birthful) new baby essentials!: Click here to read (or CREATE YOUR OWN registry through Amazon and get 10-15% off!)
- Exactly How I Reduced the Mental Load, from Simple Families
- Breastfeeding With a Supplemental Nursing System, from Breastfeeding Support
- A Look-see at a Sip and See, from Parenting.com
- Seven Sisters for Seven Days: A Mothers’ Manual for Community-Based Postpartum Care, by Michelle Peterson
- The First 8 Days of Being a Mom. How to take care of the new mom as well as newborn, by Gea Meijering
- The Pregnancy Financial Checklist, from Abacus Wealth
Related Birthful episodes:
- A Mindful and Minimalist Baby Registry, with Megan Whitaker
- Navigating HR to Plan Your Maternity Leave, with Katy Dahl
- Birth Finances, with Nate Dallas
- Setting up Your Postpartum Support, with Michelle Peterson
- Understanding & Calming Your Baby, with Carrie Contey
- Postpartum Doulas, with Jackie Kelleher
About Tracy Cutchlow
Tracy Cutchlow is the author of the international bestseller Zero to Five: 70 Essential Parenting Tips Based on Science. Tracy is an award-winning journalist, a mom, a recovering perfectionist, a triathlete, a yogi, and a nature lover. She lives in Seattle, where you’ll find her biking around with her husband and their spirited 6-year-old daughter.
Learn more at zerotofive.net
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.