For her second VBAC, Kristen Bowles was almost sent home from the hospital, when she wasn’t progressing past 2 cm after more than 4 hours. As they were getting ready to leave, her water broke, and then she went from 4 cm to pushing unexpectedly fast, never mind if she was sitting on the edge of the bed about to get an epidural. Go listen.
What we talked about:
- Being on the clock at the hospital for her first birth
- “Do you want to push for another hour or go in for a cesarean?”
- Processing a “medicine-driven” experience
- Going for a VBAC: “I need to have a smaller baby.”
- Doing all the things for optimal fetal position
- Fear of water breaking and needing an induction
- A fast and furious birth!
- The IUD goes in, and the IUD goes out
- Helpful milestones for processing a surprise pregnancy
- An “induction massage”
- And here we go …
- Feeling frustrated at not being “in labor”
- Water broke = you are in!
- Using a tens unit
- 4 cm and stuck in her head
- Getting an epidural … just kidding!
- A dramatic entrance with decels and vacuum
- The elation of having her baby on her chest and a peaceful environment to breastfeed
Helpful resources, books, and articles*:
- Miles Circuit – great for helping baby get into an optimal position
- Don’t Trust the Cervix, article by Kristen’s doulas
- Kristen’s written story on her blog
Related Birthful episodes:
- A Glorious VBAC, with Kally McConnell – episode that Kristen listened to before her first VBAC in 2017.
- VBAC Facts, with Jen Kamel
- GD, Shoulder Dystocia, Induction, Waterbirth Birth Stories!, with Jessica Bower (Kristen’s doula’s birth stories)
Photos by Michelle Neve Photography
Sign-up to for a FREE copy of my
About Kristen Bowles
Kristen Bowles is a former high school math teacher now turned stay-at-home mother of three daughters: Paige (4), Rebekah (2), and McKenzie (newborn). She’s been happily married to her husband, Ryan, for ten years this past August. When her toddlers aren’t in preschool, Kristen likes teaching her girls how to cook and bake in the kitchen as well as exploring the world around them through arts and crafts. Kristen enjoys training and running races (especially the half marathon distance) and listening to podcasts in her minivan or on long runs. Kristen and Ryan love being in community and serving in their local church, as well as making time for themselves in this crazy season, even if it’s a simple date night out around town.
Check out her blog, or connect with her via Instagram (@kristenruns) or Twitter (@kristenbowles)
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.