Chelsy Arnett describes her birth as wonderful, flowing, full of essential oils and love. As she looks back on her physiological experience, Chelsy shares what worked, what she’d do differently, as well as what helped her get through the violent identity shift and breastfeeding challenges that came with postpartum. Check it out.
What we talked about:
- Preparing with hypnobirthing, prenatal yoga, massage, and good food made by husband
- Did the Indian head massage do the trick?
- Chanting in the bathtub
- Setting her labor rhythm and contraction ritual
- The relief of the “double-hip-squeeze”
- “Drive quickly, if her water breaks, drive faster”
- Checked to be 8 cms
- Quietly asking for gas, politely being ignored
- Setting up all the things: music, oil diffuser, washcloths, getting in the shower
- Agreed to have water bag ruptured
- Meconium happens
- Feeling pushy with a lip
- Pushing with squat bar and towel
- Getting tired, needing a rest
- Contractions pick up again, baby is born!
- “It’s a girl!” “Are you sure?”
- Doula tips that helped
- The steep learning curve of breastfeeding and life with baby
- Anxiety from the violent identity shift
- What helped get her through postpartum
Resources and links to info mentioned on the show:
- Hypnobirthing.com and hypnobabies.com
- The “Fear-Tension-Pain” cycle
- What Is Indian Head Massage?
- Aromatherapy during Labor for Pain Relief, from Evidence Based Birth
- Double Hip Squeeze – What Is It And How Is It Used?
Related podcast episodes:
- Prenatal Yoga, with Deena Blumenfeld
- Self-hypnosis for pain management, with Julietta Appleton
- Updates in What You Should Eat during Pregnancy, with Lily Nichols
- Rethinking the Pushing Stage, with Whapio
Sign-up to for a FREE copy of my
About Chelsy Arnett
Chelsy is momma to a beautiful 2 year old girl and works as a massage therapist in her small town on Vancouver Island. After the birth of her own daughter, Chelsy has become intrigued by all things baby and amazed at what she didn’t know! She is hoping to help decrease the fear surrounding birth by sharing her positive birth experience.
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.