The Birthful Podcast: Episode #270 [Birth Stories]
Maya’s second homebirth was in strong contrast with her first. Instead of almost three days, labor flowed so fast that her midwife nearly missed it. During her first, the pushing stage was also quite difficult, and so much of the preparation she did during her second pregnancy was guided by a desire to minimize trauma and bring heaps of pleasure and joy into the experience. Check it out.
What we talked about:
- A challenging first birth that both shook her and woke her up
- Observing the birth sensations
- Processing the birth postpartum and healing from heavy blood loss
- Second pregnancy: focusing on having better pushing and postpartum experiences
- Planning for a homebirth and avoiding the hospital afterward
- Minimal COVID changes
- Inviting their toddler into his brother’s labor
- Labor ramps up while her husband is on his way, and her dad fills the pool
- Joy and excitement that things are moving along so quickly (but still in denial)
- “There needs to be water in this tub, and I need to get in it.”
- Finding peace in the tub
- Letting the sensations flow through her and “unkinking the hose.”
- Connecting with herself in movement, thoughts, and touch
- “Pushing isn’t part of my birthing plan.”
- Roaring out her baby
- Softening as things tighten
- Midwife arrives just in time
- Feeling elated with her newborn
- A fluid process from birth to postpartum
- Adjusting for visitors and postpartum support during COVID-19
This episode is brought to you by GirlTrek, a civil rights health movement to inspire one million black women and girls to develop a daily habit of walking and reclaim the streets of their neighborhoods. Join their Black History Bootcamp, for 21 days of walking through Black history to celebrate powerful foremothers.
Resources mentioned and other helpful links*:
Related Birthful podcast episodes
- Can Exercise During Pregnancy Make Labor Harder?, Deb Flashenberg
- Rethinking the Pushing Stage, with Whapio
- The Holistic Stages of Birth, with Whapio (Part 1)
- The Holistic Stages of Birth, with Whapio (Part 2)
- Pleasure in Birth, with Debra Pascali-Bonaro
- Birth as an Intimate Event, with Nekole Shapiro
- Postpartum Hemorrhages, with Maryn Green
- Jaundice, with Jack Newman
About Maya Ehnat
Maya Revilla Ehnat is a mom of two boys and a yoga teacher. She and her husband live with her parents and in-laws, in village community living. They are also about to open a health and yoga center. Find out more at SolHealthYoga.com
Your Questions During COVID handout!
Sign up and get access to a handout of helpful questions to ask your provider (and place of birth!) during these COVID times. You'll also get updates from me from time to time.
*May contain affiliate links. This means that -at no extra cost to you- I may get a small percentage of what you buy. That is one of the ways of helping me continue to do this podcast – Thank you!
Like the music on the podcast?:
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.