After her first birth Julia experienced undiagnosed postpartum depression along with major breastfeeding struggles. Second time around, she was dreading her baby’s arrival rather than excitedly awaiting it, so she did something about it. Julia shares how proactively preparing for all possibilities allowed her to be fully present during those first weeks, and enjoy the time with her newborn. Check it out.
Powered by RedCircle
What we talked about:
- Her first two seamless postpartum experiences
- Enduring weeks of prodromal labor for her third
- Where’s my “just-had-a-baby high”?
- Panic attacks are no joke!
- Dealing with Postpartum Panic Disorder
- The impact of intense tragic losses before birth #2 and birth #3
- “I didn’t feel like myself”
- Getting help
- Coping mechanisms that helped
- Taking ownership of her body and the process
- The humbling awakening of postpartum mood disorders
- The need for preparing anew for each birth
- Her postpartum preparation plan for #4
- Finding comfort in knowledge
- You are not alone!
Resources and links to info mentioned on the show:
- Berkshire Nursing Families
- ILCA’s Find a Lactation Consultant directory
- Depression During Pregnancy & Postpartum: Symptoms and Risk Factors, from Postpartum Support International
- DONA’s Find a Doula directory
Related Birthful episodes
- Birth Models and How They Affect Your Birth, with Robbie Davis-Floyd
- Understanding & Calming Your Baby, with Carrie Contey
- A Mindful and Minimalist Baby Registry, with Megan Whitaker
- Choosing Your Care Provider, with Robin Elise Weiss
Sign-up to for a FREE copy of my
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.