What happens when you plan for a birth center waterbirth and you end up with a 34 week preemie, and an onslaught of breastfeeding obstacles? How does this help you prepare differently for your next birth and postpartum? Vanessa Young shares her perspective. Check it out!
Powered by RedCircle
What we talked about:
- The plan: waterbirth at birth center
- The reality: water broke at 354 weeks
- A good birth followed by a very challenging postpartum with a premie
- Baby is whisked away
- Conquering a myriad of breastfeeding challenges
- Going from NICU to home: what do we do without the machines?
- Building a solid team with your pediatrician
- When protection becomes isolating
- The difference a tongue tie release makes!
- Her brewing postpartum depression … and pneumonia … and shingles …
- New pregnancy goals: go beyond 34 weeks, birth at birth center
- Feeling annoyed or starting labor?
- Prodromal turns into a gallop
- When no one will answer their phone
- A showing water release
- Feeling great in the water
- Dealing with an early urge to push
- Getting to hold her baby for hours!
- Her imagery for going deep into labor
- Two very different postpartums
- Paying attention to what your body is saying
- Helpful tips for dealing with anxiety
- Helpful kits for getting home ready (see my favorite things below 🙂 )
- Transitioning from 1 to 2
- Taking care of herself
Resources and links to info mentioned on the show*:
- A new era of home birth research, from Science & Sensibility
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth, by Ina May Gaskin
- The Fourth Trimester: A Postpartum Guide to Healing Your Body, Balancing Your Emotions, and Restoring Your Vitality, by Kimberly Ann Johnson
- Down Came the Rain, by Brooke Shields
- Birthing from Within, by Pam England
- Birth Partner 5th Edition: A Complete Guide to Childbirth for Dads, Partners, Doulas, and All Other Labor Companions, by Penny Simkin
- Insight Timer meditation app
- The Benefits of Kangaroo Care, from Hand to Hold
Ideas to create your own breastfeeding/diapering/postpartum kits:
- My list of Postpartum Essentials
- My list of Breastfeeding Essentials
- My list of Diapering Essentials
Related Birthful episodes:
- Navigating the NICU, with Sue Hall
- Tongue and Lip Ties, with Dianne Cassidy
- Baby’s Position and Labor Flow, with Gail Tully
- Waterbirth, with Barbara Harper
- Restoring Your Vitality After Birth, with Kimberly Johnson
Sign-up to for a FREE copy of my
Vanessa is a mama to two high energy happy little toddlers who she enjoys parenting with her wonderful husband who spends a good portion of the year touring with the Army Field Band. She is also a yoga instructor, professional musician (harpist) and doula in-training. As a self-proclaimed birth junkie, she enjoys all things birth and her favorite thing to teach is her yoga birth class series.
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.