The Birthful Podcast: Episode #6
In this episode of the Birthful Podcast, we are going to be talking about nutrition during pregnancy. If you’re pregnant, you’re probably very familiar with all the things you should avoid eating. But can the things you do eat help lower your risks of prematurity, preeclampsia, gestational diabetes and other complications? To learn more, I’ll be talking with Amy V. Haas.
To listen here, click the play button on the player above, or click the button below to listen in iTunes.
Show Notes: what we talked about!
- Eating well to stay low risk
- Can proper nutrition decrease your chances of preeclampsia and prematurity?
- Shedding light on the “Brewer Diet” – it’s not just about the protein!
- One size doesn’t fit all: getting the nutrition that right for YOU
- You are what you eat… and you eat what you buy
- Gestational diabetes and nutrition during pregnancy
- What if you have gestational diabetes?
- Do Paleo and pregnancy mix?
- Quality matters: what’s in your food and where does it come from?
- Ways in which your nutrition affects your baby’s long-term health
More on nutrition during pregnancy:
Here’s Amy’s article on Pregnancy Nutrition and Our Children’s Future
Also, Midwifery today has a section on Nutrition in the Childbearing Year, that includes 2 articles by Amy Haas:
And here’s very extensive list of articles, book and organizations related to the Brewer Diet, and additional info on nutrition in pregnancy.
Fabulous resources on what fish are safe to eat, and which to avoid:
Fish Consumption Advisories from the EPA
Seafood Watch from the Monterey Bay Aquarium
Sustainable Seafood Guide from the Natural Resources Defense Council
[mark]About Amy V. Haas[/mark]
Amy V. Haas. Amy has been a childbirth educator, writer, consultant & lecturer in the field of pregnancy and birth for the last 19 years. On nutrition during pregnancy, Amy studied with and assisted Dr. Tom Brewer, the developer of the Brewer Pregnancy diet, and she continues his work through pregnancy nutrition counseling. She often writes on the topic for Midwifery Today. Amy is also the Education Chair for Rochester Area Birth Network, owner of Healthy Birth of Rochester, and and mom to 2 wonderful young men.
Finally, here’s a list with all of Amy’s published articles. Easy peasy.
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.