Monica Drake has had three very different birth and breastfeeding experiences. In this episode, we’re going to hone in on the third one, which included weeks of prodromal labor, no time for an epidural, and immediate postpartum interventions to baby that may not have been necessary, and have required a lot of processing. Check it out.
What we talked about:
- First birth: getting the epidural right away
- Pushing with a heavy epidural
- Right to chest: the “cutest alien ever!”
- A rough miscarriage
- Using fertility awareness for a sense of control
- Smooth pregnancy with chiropractic care
- Pushing with a light epidural
- Feeling her be born, then right to chest
- The life changing effects of participating at a friends birth
- Next pregnancy: having a surprise!
- When husband’s not on board with a non-medicated birth
- Third birth wildcard: prodromal labor for weeks
- Water breaking with a pop!
- Barely making it to the hospital
- DO NOT PUSH!
- Emergency mindset sending baby to NICU?
- Processing all the things
Resources and links to info mentioned on the show*:
- Birth Partner 5th Edition: A Complete Guide to Childbirth for Dads, Partners, Doulas, and All Other Labor Companions, by Penny Simkin
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth, by Ina May Gaskin
- Birth Your Story: Why Writing about Your Birth Matters, by Jaime Fleres
- Mama Natural App
- Fertility Friend App
- DONA International
- Doulas of Greater Kansas City
Related Birthful episodes:
- Informed Consent, with Cristen Pascucci
- The Power in Writing Your Story, with Jaime Fleres
- Place of Birth as Your #1 Cesarean Risk, with Dr. Neel Shah
Sign-up to for a FREE copy of my
Podcasts Monica listened to:
About Monica Drake
Monica Drake, has been married for over 12 years to her high school sweetheart, and they have three amazing children. Her background is in elementary education, but in 2015 she fell in love with the birth world while being a part of her best friend’s birth team. Watching her friend and her husband labor together with the help of their doula, Monica knew she was meant to be in birth work. During her third pregnancy she began studying as a birth doula and in 2017 she formally trained through DONA International. She began attending births right away and has had the privilege to serve all kinds of families through their birth experiences. Monica plans to offer postpartum doula services once her youngest begins school. Her own births have included epidurals twice, a precipitous unmedicated birth, and two early miscarriages followed by rainbow babies after each loss. With each birth, her knowledge and experience have grown, as have her views on pregnancy and childbirth. With each client’s birth she continues learning and growing as a birth doula!
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.