When Hailey’s water broke, and contractions didn’t follow, she felt the clock ticking. She proceeded to try all the things, including a natural induction method suggested by her midwife that did the trick. However, she also had an immense desire for chicken nuggets. Go listen.
What we talked about:
- Her first birth: textbook hospital vaginal birth, with epidural and Pitocin
- Researching and rethinking Pitocin
- Second birth: researching the midwifery model of care
- Wanting a waterbirth at a birth center
- Feeling antsy and grumpy? This may be it!
- First a trickle and then a gush!
- Go back to bed
- Getting antibiotics for GBS+ at the office
- Her “Midwife’s Brew” for natural induction
- Something’s happening!
- Still smiling, still happy. Need Chick-Fil-A.
- I’m not going until I finish these nuggets…
- Finally to the birth center, and playing around with the swing
- Into the tub as things pick back up
- The instinct to stand up
- A calm and happy baby girl
- No rush for placenta and repairs
Helpful resources, books, and podcasts*:
- Evidence on: Premature Rupture of Membranes, from Evidence Based Birth
- 5 Reasons You Need to OWN Your (Placenta’s) Birth, from Indie Birth
- Evidence on Group B Strep in Pregnancy, from Evidence Based Birth
- Natural Labor Induction Series: Castor Oil, from Evidence Based Birth (check out my episode with Rebecca Dekker on the evidence for castor oil (and other things) here.)
Related Birthful podcast episodes:
- Informed Consent, with Cristen Pascucci
- Evidence Based Care, Castor Oil and More, with Rebecca Dekker
- All About Midwives, with Melissa Cheyney
- Choosing Your Care Provider, with Robin Elise Weiss
- The Holistic Stages of Birth, with Whapio (Part 1)
- The Holistic Stages of Birth, with Whapio (Part 2)
- Waterbirth, with Barbara Harper
- Postpartum Hemorrhages, with Maryn Green
Sign-up to for a FREE copy of my
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.