Both of Molly Chesterson’s labors have started with inductions but under different circumstances. After having an epidural for her first birth, Molly was hoping for an epidural free experience the second time around. It was an intense close call at the end, when she went from 4 centimeters to baby in about 30 minutes, while her husband was getting food! Go listen to this rollercoaster ride.
What we talked about:
- Difficulties in conceiving and an ectopic pregnancy
- Carrying fear during her whole pregnancy
- Soaking up all the info, wanting no medications
- Pop, gush, there goes the water!
- Getting to the hospital before labor starts
- Pitocin to get things going
- Time for an epidural
- Suddenly, baby is here!
- Feeling unsupported in her wishes
- Second time around: I can do this
- Connecting with her husband through comfort measures class
- Deciding on a scheduled induction
- Riding the contractions as the intensity increases
- Using all the coping mechanisms
- Water breaks increasing the intensity
- The beauty of laboring on the toilet
- Preparing to get the epidural while her husband gets food
- “I’m pooping! I can’t move.”
- What just happened!?
- Feeling sad and shocked = “Where’s my baby?”
- A great recovery
- The things that worked best for her
- Getting on top of any breastfeeding issues
- You can do it!
Resources mentioned and other helpful links*:
- Evidence on: Premature Rupture of Membranes, from Evidence-Based Birth
- Expecting Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom Is Wrong–and What You Really Need to Know, by Emily Oster
- PregnancyPodcast (40 weeks), by Vanessa Merten
- Birth Kweens podcast, with Karly Nuttall and Ali Feroah
- The Birth Hour podcast, with Bryn Huntpalmer
Related Birthful episodes:
- The Induction Process, with Toni Golen
- Inductions, with Dr. Gene Declercq
- Two Inductions and an Undisturbed Birth, with Margot Strauhull
- Informed Consent, with Cristen Pascucci
Sign-up to for a FREE copy of my
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.