Rachael Svendsen’s birth was what she would call a perfect birth. The postpartum period? Not so much. Dealing with tongue and lip ties, along with a baby that needed her all the time, was much harder than she imagined. So what got her through all that? Let’s find out. Stay tuned. Check it out!
Powered by RedCircle
What we talked about:
- Rachael’s birth goes according to plan
- A frustrating start to breastfeeding
- Dealing with lip and tongue ties
- Thinking she’d be more patient than she was
- The struggle of being needed all the time
- The 6 mo. turning point
- Panic attack wake up call!
- This is not fun: what is wrong with us?
- Paying attention to what your body is saying
- You can do hard things
- Accepting (and adjusting) to the baby you got
- Babywearing and bedsharing for the win
- Getting used to your “alien and strange body”
Related resources, links, and articles*:
- Birthing from Within, by Pam England
- Postpartum Support International
- And Baby Makes 3: The Six-Step Plan for Preserving Marital Intimacy and Rekindling Romance After Baby Arrives, by John Gottman and Julie Schwartz Gottman
- The Fussy Baby Book: Parenting Your High-Need Child From Birth to Age Five, by Dr. Sears
Related Birthful episodes:
- Tongue and Lip Ties, with Dianne Cassidy
- Setting up Your Postpartum Support, with Michelle Peterson
- Persistence in Breastfeeding, with Dawn Pensack
- Restoring Your Vitality After Birth, with Kimberly Johnson
- The Identity Shift of Becoming a Mom, with Sophie McEntee
- Loving Your Postpartum Body, with Ashlee Wells Jackson
- The Transition into Parenthood, with Elly Taylor
- Babywearing!, with Joanna McNeilly
- Safer Bedsharing, with Teresa Pitman
Sign-up to for a FREE copy of my
About Rachael Svendsen
Besides being a mother to an intense and wonderful son, Rachael is an Associate Marriage and Family Therapist who works with foster and adoptive families in the Los Angeles area. Favorite mother/son bonding time includes blowing bubbles in the backyard, nursing, and reading Todd Parr’s “I Love You” book. Other hobbies include cooking new vegan recipes, running, and watching documentaries with her fabulous partner and amazing sister. To connect, email rachaelcsvendsen[at]yahoo[dot]com
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.