Heather started preparing for birth and life with a newborn, even before she was pregnant. However, once labor started, she found that the hardest thing was to quiet her thinking brain. She was also immensely grateful for having switched care providers twice, until connecting with the right one for her. Check it out.
What we talked about:
- Loss of confidence in medical system after an early miscarriage
- Switching care providers
- Learning about birth options through local Birth Circle group… before being pregnant
- There’s a free-standing birth center?!
- Switching again
- What the heck is a “weighted feeding?”
- The due date that came and went
- “Are you fixating on a number?”
- That time you thought your water broke…
- Acupuncture, chiropractic, floor remodel
- “Go to sleep”
- Setting up the “labor cave”
- Disappointing vaginal check
- Getting internal, getting annoyed
- Do you want to stop it, or make it stronger?
- Come to me, Laborland!
- That danged anterior lip
- Everyone out!
- A nap? Why, yes I will
- Fresh midwife, fresh energy
- Meeting her baby!
- A well prepared and nourishing postpartum
- Still nursing!
Resources and links to info mentioned on the show:
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth, by Ina May Gaskin
- Find a Lactation Consultant directory, from ILCA
- Walcher’s: Open The Brim, from Spinning Babies
Heather’s local resources:
- The Birth Center of Bloomington-Normal
- Her awesome doula, Marcia Mattern
- Her IBCLC, Total Lactation Care
Related podcast episodes:
- Choosing Your Care Provider, with Robin Elise Weiss
- Birth Doulas, with Sharon Muza
- The Problem with Due Dates, with Gail Hart
- Rethinking the Pushing Stage, with Whapio
- Postpartum Hemorrhages, with Maryn Green
Sign-up to for a FREE copy of my
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.