When preparing your parental leave, what should you discuss with your employer during pregnancy? How will you make sure you have the support that you need? How long should you make your transition time? What about all the emotions you may go through? Arianna Taboada tells us more.
What we talked about:
- Is there a right time to go back to work?
- What can you start preparing during pregnancy?
- How can you ensure that you will be well supported?
- Benefits of taking time off, before the birth
- When should you start structuring childcare?
- Ways to come with all the emotions you may go through
- What about a postpartum plan?
- Considering your physical and mental health
- Trying to uphold the 4th trimester
- Steps towards a gradual re-entry for a more confident transition
- What if you have to go back to work right away?
- Avoiding or preventing postpartum mood disorders
- Bringing together your identities: as a parent and as a professional
- Is your workplace culture supportive?
- Setting boundaries to enjoy your relationship with your child and make time for your family
- Scheduling some “me time”
- How will you approach this? Bringing curiosity and compassion to the table.
Related Birthful episodes:
- The Transition into Parenthood, with Elly Taylor
Resources, links, and other great info:
- Postpartum Support International Warmline (English and Spanish)
- MindfulReturn.com, website for successful maternity leave, created by lawyer and mom, Lori Mihalich-Levin
- Sign up for Arianna’s Postpartum Planning Workbook
- Sign up for the Birthful Postpartum Plan Worksheet
- Q: When to start slowing down for maternity leave? A: As soon as you can!, article by Arianna
- Returning to Work After Maternity Leave, from Working Moms Against Guilt
- 9 Secrets for a Successful Return to Work After Maternity Leave, from the reformed idealist mom
- 6 Tips for Returning to Work After Maternity Leave, from US News Money section
- Top 5 Tips for Smoothly Transitioning Back to Work after Maternity Leave, from WorkingMother.com
- The New Mom’s Guide to Returning to Work After Maternity Leave, from ScaryMommy.com
About Arianna Taboada
Arianna Taboada is a maternal health consultant who works with women to create a smooth and personalized transition into motherhood. She is deeply committed to providing genuine, on-going, multi-faceted support that fosters physical, mental, social, and emotional health for new mothers when they find themselves faced with the unknown.
When Arianna is not working directly with clients she is a consultant to research institutions and universities on reproductive health issues. She regularly presents at conferences and her scientific work has been published in the International Journal of Health Equity, Advances in Social Work, and the Journal of Public Health Management and Practice.
Learn more at her website: AriannaTaboada.com, or join the conversation on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.