The Birthful Podcast: Episode #17
In this episode of the Birthful podcast, we’re going to be talking about birth doulas! Often considered as personal birth fairies, doulas can significantly improve birth experiences. What are the proven benefits and why should you even consider having one? I talk with the remarkable Sharon Muza about how doulas make a difference, no matter the type of birth.
What we talked about:
- What is a doula?
- Why have a doula? The proven benefits
- How doulas build your confidence
- Doulas and partners working together
- Doula: skilled birth support that is not above going for an ice run
- Doulas support any and all births
- (Big) differences between a doula and a midwife
- How doulas work together with your birth team
- What’s the cost? breaking down what makes up a doula’s fee
- Different models of doula care
Links to the doula resources we mentioned, and more:
- The Evidence for Doulas by Rebecca Dekker (what the research shows)
- Doulas are for Every Kind of Birth by Sharon Muza
- I Challenge You To A Doula by Daddy Confidential (a dad’s story, with humorous flair)
- Science & Sensibility blog
- Tips for Finding a Doula by Lamaze International
Good places to find a doula:
[mark]About Sharon Muza[/mark]
Sharon Muza, BS, CD(DONA) BDT(DONA), LCCE, FACCE, has been an active childbirth professional since 2004, teaching Lamaze classes and providing doula services to hundreds of couples through her private practice in Seattle, Washington. She is an instructor at the Simkin Center, Bastyr University where she is a birth doula trainer. Sharon is also a trainer with Passion for Birth, a Lamaze-Accredited Childbirth Educator Program. Sharon is a former co-leader of the International Cesarean Awareness Network’s (ICAN) Seattle Chapter, and a former board member of PALS Doulas and Past President of REACHE. In September 2011, Sharon was admitted as a Fellow to the Academy of Certified Childbirth Educators. Sharon Muza has been the community manager, writer and editor for Science & Sensibility, Lamaze International’s blog for birth professionals, since 2012. Sharon enjoys active online engagement and facilitating discussion around best practice, current research and its practical application to community standards and actions by health care providers, and how that affects families in the childbearing year. Sharon has been a dynamic speaker at international conferences on topics of interest to birth professionals and enjoys collaborating with others to share ideas and information that benefit birth professionals and families.
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.