The Birthful Podcast: Episode #111
Birth is filled with uncertainty, and with that come the fears and what ifs: what if something goes wrong, what if the pain is too much, what if my wishes aren’t respected, What if I need a cesarean, what if I poop? All are valid, but not very helpful feelings. So how can you deal with them? Alexia Leachman has answers. Check it out.
To listen here, click the play button on the player above, or click the button below to listen in iTunes.
What we talked about:
- Addressing the most common pregnancy and birth fears
- Fear of the birth process
- Specific phobias (of needles, etc.)
- Fear of the unknown, of not being able to control
- Fear something will go wrong
- Fear of the system (interventions)
- Fear of not being heard and respected, of prejudices
- Fear of not being able to count on your team
- Fear based on previous experience
- Clearing fears from your body and mind
- Can you really control anything?
- Using a flotation tank in preparation for letting go
- What to do with residual fears that may show up during birth?
- Dealing with fears from previous trauma
This episode is brought to you by
winner of the Woman’s Choice Award 6 years straight, and loved by exhausted moms everywhere.
Learn more at MomsNeedSleep.com/birthful
And also by Fit2B Studios,
and their alignment-based fitness routines for new and expectant moms.
Learn more at Fit2B.us
Additional resources and articles:
- Feel the Fear and Birth Anyway, by Rachel Reed from Midwife Thinking
- Reducing fear of birth in U.S. culture: Ina May Gaskin at TEDxSacramento, Video
- Childbirth Without Fear: The Principles and Practice of Natural Childbirth, by Grantly Dick-Read
- Alexia’s upcoming Fearless Birth Prep 5 day Challenge
- Free Chapter from Alexia’s book: Fearless Birthing
Podcast episodes mentioned in the show:
- The Baby’s Birth Experience, with Karen Strange, (episode #07)
- Understanding & Calming Your Baby, with Carrie Contey, (episode #105)
- Connecting With Your Baby in Utero, with Penny Simkin, (episode #36)
[mark]About Alexia Leachman[/mark]
Alexia is a therapeutic coach, an author, and the host of the award-nominated Fear Free Childbirth podcast, which helps pregnant mamas prepare for a positive, fear-free childbirth experience. It’s a mix of positive birth stories, birth experts sharing their wisdom and Alexia sharing advice on mindset and tackling fears.
Alexia was tokophobic and overcame her extreme fears to have two fear-free home births and she now helps women to overcome their fears so that they can look forward to their birth with excitement. Alexia has helped thousands of women worldwide to shed the fear and claim their positive birth through her private sessions, her online programmes and products, and of course her podcast.
Her second book, Fearless Birthing is out soon. Alexia appears regularly in the press, TV, radio and online including the BBC and SKY and has been featured in Huffington Post, Mail Online, Psychologies, Red, Easy Living and Mother & Baby magazines.
*may contain affiliate links. This means that I may get a small percentage of what you buy, and that is one of the ways of helping me continue to do this podcast – Thank you!
Like the music on the podcast?:
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.