The Birthful Podcast: Episode #122
Last episode we talked about how breastfeeding may be perfectly natural, but it’s not perfectly easy. There tend to be a few or a lot obstacles to overcome. But what does that actually look like? Dawn Pensack is here to share her stories. Check it out!
What we talked about:
- Dawn’s two very different breastfeeding experiences
- Trying to breastfeed a preemie
- The problems with “comparison-itis”
- Feeling all the feelings through the heightened emotional lens of postpartum
- Conflicting breastfeeding messages
- “Letting your child down”
- Preparing differently
- Facing the new challenges of her second breastfeeding experience
- Getting creative by observing your child
- The satisfaction of turning things around
- The importance of having a helping partner
- Setting up a “nursing station”
- Breastfeeding = knowledge + support + persistence + creativity
Additional resources and helpful links:
- When Breastfeeding is Hard, from KellyMom.com
- 8 common breastfeeding struggles new mums need to know about, from Babyology
- 6 Common Breastfeeding Problems and How to Overcome Them, from Fit Pregnancy
- Setting Up a Cozy Breastfeeding Corner
- ILCA’s Find a Lactation Consultant Directory
- At Breast Supplementing, article by Diana West and Diane Wiessinger for Breastfeeding Today
- Feeding Tube for Infants (gavage), from Health Line
Related podcast episodes:
- Common Breastfeeding Struggles, with Kathleen Kendall-Tackett, (episode # 121)
- 11 Breastfeeding Need-to-Knows, with Robin Kaplan, (episode # 79)
- Why Breastfeeding a Newborn is Different, with Theresa Nesbitt, (episode #82)
[mark]About Dawn Pensack [/mark]
As a little girl, Dawn Pensack dreamed of being a mother one day and wanted to raise her kids in a way very different than she was raised. Dawn knew there had to be more to this parenting thing and she was determined to find it. And she did. Dawn combined her years of working with children as a math teacher, her strong desire to bring happiness to families, and her love of spreading the love into a Family Happiness Coaching business that helps her fulfill her true purpose on a daily basis. Dawn works with parents who are struggling to have it all – a life, a career or business, and a family in the midst of a chaotic world. She reminds her clients that while it may not be easy, it’s possible to be the parent you want to be with the right tools and support.
When Dawn isn’t working with her clients to help them ditch the yelling and guilt and become peaceful parents, you can find her outside with her horse, canoeing, or just enjoying the day with her husband and children.
Like the music on the podcast?:
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.