Part birth and postpartum story, part helpful tips, part reflections, this two-part episode with Jeremy Buczek goes deep into the birth partner’s experience of pregnancy, birth and postpartum to help your partner know a bit more of what to expect. Check it out.
What we talked about:
- Walking into the back room of an OB’s office
- The blur of the first four weeks postpartum
- What to do with the frustration of not being able to help with breastfeeding
- Observing your baby to connect
- Is nipple confusion a thing?
- Preparing for the idea that “every pregnancy/birth is different”
- Weird things that you’ll hear during pregnancy
- The unexpected hospital smells
- The benefits of going to the prenatal visits
- Getting a care provider that welcomes partners as well
- Going into labor with an open mind
- The non-linear aspect of birth
- Watching your partner be in pain (and be primal and intense and…)
- Being willing and ready to help during the labor
- What the phrase “you’ll know” really means regarding active labor
- Plan for puke
- Get the doula!
- The surprise of the hospital intake questionnaire
- The triage experience
Additional resources and articles mentioned by Jeremy*:
- Easy DIY Padsicles: How to Make Your Own Postpartum Cold Packs
- I Challenge You To A Doula, from Daddy Confidential (article mentioned by Jeremy)
- Silicone breast pumps (aka milk catchers)
- Comotomo, Tommy Tippee, and Dr. Brown’s baby bottles
- The Purslane Weed – I say not a weed, Jeremy says differently 🙂
About Jeremy Buczek
Supply Chain Specialist for a bio-pesticide company, owner of Rochester Yeast Co. and Cheveux Hair Oil, beer brewer, whiskey enthusiast, fermenter, gardener, woodworker, foodie/cook and most importantly new dad to a healthy daughter Eloise.
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.