When trying to conceive, the process of peeing on a stick can be fraught with emotions, and having to work on boosting your fertility month after month, or undergo treatments, can take over your life, bringing forth feelings of guilt, resentment, isolation, grief, and much stress. What can you do to make this a more enjoyable ride? Heidi Brockmyre has answers. Check it out.
What we talked about:
- The usual steps in the standard Western-medicine fertility journey
- The whole-body approach of Chinese Medicine
- Dealing with guilt, resentment, overwhelm, stress, sense of failure, self-sacrifice… and all the other feelings that come up
- Experiencing a miscarriage and loss
- Acknowledging and healing from trauma
- Preparing yourself emotionally for what this process entails
- When fertility takes over your whole life
- Stress management
- Seeing it as an act of self-love and self-care, or self-sacrifice?
- Self-care practices
- The value of acupuncture and acupressure
Resources and links:
- How common is infertility?, from National Institute of Health
- Heidi’s Fertility TV – YouTube channel
- Infertility, from the Mayo Clinic
- How Long Does IVF Take? An Overview of the IVF Process
- The Integrative Women’s Health Institute’s blog, by Jessica Drummond
- New mom Serena Williams had to talk her hospital staff through saving her life, from Quartz Media
Related Birthful episodes:
- Fertility Before & After Pregnancy, with Emily Varnam & Kelsey Knight
- Fertility and Age, with Lisa Doran
- Hormones After Birth, with Dr. Jolene Brighten
- Effects of Stress During Pregnancy, with Parijat Deshpande
Heidi Brockmyre is an acupuncturist, herbalist and fertility and pregnancy specialist with a background in Chinese medicine.
She has over 10 years of experience helping women grow their families. She’s supported hundreds of women in her clinic in San Diego, and thousands of women around the world in her online community.
Heidi focuses on helping women create total fertility wellness by preparing the mind, body, and spirit for fertility and pregnancy through her virtual fertility self-acupressure programs.
Read more at heidibrockmyre.com or join the conversation on Facebook page, Facebook support group, Pinterest, and Twitter (@heidibrokmyre)
Free Fertility Gift from Heidi: Balance and Restore Your Fertility – A Quick Start 7-Day Acupressure Course
Title music: “Vibe Ace” by Kevin MacLeod, from the Free Music Archive / CC BY (edited for length).
Sponsorship music: “Air Hockey Saloon” by Chris Zabriskie, from the Free Music Archive / CC BY (edited for length).
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.