The Birthful Podcast: Episode #138
(Renewed! – Originally #59)
As humans, we’ve got enormous energy-hungry brains, made up of rare building blocks. How does your pregnant body and the placenta build your baby’s brain from scratch, and what should you eat before, during and after pregnancy to help it be the healthiest? Dr. Theresa Nesbitt has the answers. Check it out.
What we talked about:
- What do your curves have to do with your baby’s brain?
- Building a brain from scratch
- What to eat during pregnancy to give your baby’s brain the best building blocks
- You are not eating for two! Instead, eat well for yourself
- The placenta as your baby’s chef (and you are the pantry!)
- Fats: the good, the bad, and the highly unstable, and which should you have
- Avoiding an inflammatory diet
- PUFAs, Omega-3s and Omega-6s
- What you need to know about DHA, and the foods that have it
- How the placenta and breastmilk help
- Why breastmilk is brain-juice
- What you eat will help you avoid a picky eater
- Not just for your baby: improving your fertility
- Bonus: What to do for morning sickness!
Resources, links, and other great info:
- PUFA: What is it and Why Should it Be Avoided?
- Baby’s Palate And Food Memories Shaped Before Birth, from NPR
- Info on DHA and EPA, from Evolutionary Psychiatry
- Nancy Mohrbacher’s breastfeeding videos
- Hashimoto’s Thyroditis
This episode is also brought to you by FULLSCRIPT
If you are a healthcare provider:
Go to FULLSCRIPT.com/birthful to sign up for a FREE Fullscript dispensary account.
If you are a pregnant person:
Encourage your healthcare provider to sign up for an account. It will make getting your supplements much more convenient!
- Hormones After Birth, Dr. Jolene Brighten
- Nutrition during Pregnancy, with Amy V. Haas
- Weight Gain & Nutrition, with Genevieve Howland
- Gestational Diabetes, with Lily Nichols
[mark ]About Dr. Theresa Nesbitt[/mark]
Dr. Theresa Nesbitt is an Obstetrician-Gynecologist with special training in Maternal Fetal Medicine. Theresa promotes health and wellness for women with a focus on mothers. She has a particular interest in brain growth and development. Dr. Theresa is Director of Family Health Coaching, editor of Babies and Breastfeeding Magazine.She is also co-author (with Nancy Mohrbacher IBCLC, FILCA) of the Natural Breastfeeding Program – The Solution to Successful Start.
Dr. Nesbitt developed an interest in breastfeeding because she observed that although many pregnant women plan to breastfeed, they are not really prepared to do so. Her interest in brain health, nutrition and developmental kinesiology have helped her to look at Breastfeeding and Human milk from a new perspective.
Like the music on the podcast?:
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.