The Birthful Podcast: Episode #134
(Renewed! – Originally #89)
What does the postpartum hormonal rollercoaster look like? How can you support your hormonal balance to avoid adrenal fatigue and autoimmune issues? What’s causing your vaginal dryness, and should you consider “vaginal rehab”? Dr. Jolene Brighten tells us more. Check it out!
What we talked about:
- Hormonal shift after birth
- The placenta’s job
- The hormonal component of baby blues
- How prolactin affects your cycles (or lack thereof)
- Postpartum and adrenal fatigue
- What to do to support the rebalancing of your hormones
- Incidence of postpartum thyroiditis
- The importance of a postpartum plan (Tip: get my amazing Postpartum Prep Plan! Sign-up here to download your copy. It’s FREE!)
- Your shrinking brain
- Vaginal dryness, diminishing sexual desire and the importance of orgasms
- Pelvic floor physical therapy
This episode is brought to you by FULLSCRIPT
If you are a healthcare provider:
Go to FULLSCRIPT.com/birthful to sign up for a FREE Fullscript dispensary account.
If you are a pregnant person:
Encourage your healthcare provider to sign up for an account. It will make getting your supplements much more convenient!
Resources and links:
- 6 Ways to Support Your Adrenals After Baby, by Dr. Brighten
- The French Government Wants To Tone My Vagina, article on french vaginal rehab
- Postpartum Adrenal Fatigue
- Postpartum Thyroiditis
- Taking Care of You, with Mar Oscategui
- Will You Shower During Postpartum?, with Lisa Chin
- Loving Your Postpartum Body, with Ashlee Wells Jackson
[mark]About Dr. Jolene Brighten[/mark]
Dr. Jolene Brighten is a licensed Functional Medicine Naturopathic Doctor, best selling author, speaker, and mother. Dr. Brighten specializes in women’s health, from fertility to postpartum care, adrenal and thyroid support, autoimmune conditions, and digestive disorders. In her patient centered practice, Dr. Brighten thrives on navigating the space between conventional and alternative medicine, all while working with patients to help them achieve optimum balance, health, and happiness.
Check out her book, Healing Your Body Naturally After Childbirth: The New Mom’s Guide to Navigating the Fourth Trimester, or find out more at Dr.Brighten.com.
*May contain affiliate links. This means that -at no extra cost to you- I may get a small percentage of what you buy. That is one of the ways of helping me continue to do this podcast – Thank you!
Like the music on the podcast?:
Title music: “Vibe Ace” by Kevin MacLeod, from the Free Music Archive / CC BY (edited for length).
Sponsorship music: “Air Hockey Saloon” by Chris Zabriskie, from the Free Music Archive / CC BY (edited for length).
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.