The Birthful Podcast: Episode #15
To continue on our breastfeeding kick, in this episode of the Birthful Podcast we are going to be talking about low milk supply. Low milk supply -whether real or perceived- can seriously impact a breastfeeding relationship. I’ll be taking with Diana Cassar-Uhl, to help us navigate the constellation of reasons that may cause it, and possible solutions.
What we talked about:
- What is considered a low milk supply?
- The million dollar question: how common is low milk supply
- What to do if you think your milk supply is low
- Why it’s impossible to “spoil” a newborn
- Your baby’s hunger cues
- Is it time for a “nursing vacation”?
- What if your boobs don’t change?
- Low milk supply: physical reasons, behavioral reasons, or both?
Helpful links from Diana:
- Article on Perceived Insufficient Milk
- Article on Hypoplasia/Insufficient Glandular Tissue
- Insulin resistance and lactation insufficiency: FAQ
- Diana’s Book: Finding Sufficiency: Breastfeeding with Insufficient Glandular Tissue
Additional links on low milk supply:
- Breastfeeding and low supply: Common and surprising causes and solutions from PhD in Parenting
- Hidden Hindrances to a Healthy Milk Supply by Becky Flora, BSed, IBCLC
- Increasing Low Milk Supply by Kelly Bonyata, BS, IBCLC
- How does milk production work? by Kelly Bonyata, BS, IBCLC
- The Breastfeeding Mother’s Guide to Making More Milk book by Diana West, IBCLC and Lisa Marasco, MA, IBCLC
[mark]About Diana Cassar-Uhl[/mark]
Diana Cassar-Uhl, MPH, IBCLC is a first year doctoral student in maternal and child health with a research interest in infant and child nutrition. She has been helping breastfeeding families since 2005 as a La Leche League Leader, IBCLC, educator, author, and researcher. She blogs at DianaIBCLC.com and is the author of Finding Sufficiency: Breastfeeding With Insufficient Glandular Tissue (Praeclarus Press). Mother of three school-age children, Diana splits her time between her home in upstate New York and her academic and professional pursuits in the Washington, DC area.
Learn more about Diana.
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.