The Birthful Podcast: Episode #102
How your baby is born will determine what microorganisms get where, when. It’s a beautifully orchestrated process with lifelong implications for your baby’s health. So what if you have a cesarean birth, take antibiotics, or are not able to breastfeed? Toni Harman tells us more. Check it out!
To listen here, click the play button on the player above, or click the button below to listen in iTunes.
What we talked about:
- What is the microbiome?
- Understanding the “seed-and-feed” process
- Changes in the vaginal microbiome during the 3rd trimester
- Why it’s actually amazingly good for you to poop during pushing
- Why sequence of arrival matters
- How the microbiome trains the infant’s immune system
- The increased risk of certain diseases later in life for Cesarean born babies
- Elective vs. emergency Cesareans
- Labor’s apparent effect on epigenetics
- The issues with Cesarean births
- The issues with antibiotics and being GBS+
- Effects of breastfeeding in getting things relatively back on track
- Living a microbiome-friendly life
This episode is brought to you by Natural Breastfeeding,
and their FREE Quick Start Video. Go watch it at
Additional fabulous resources and articles:
- Your Baby’s Microbiome – get the book
- Microbirth.com – Toni’s website
- Other films by Toni Harman
- Immune System and the Microbiome, video with Dr. Rodney Dietert (one of the videos from the QR codes inside the book)
- Professor Philip Steer on GBS+
- Group B Strep in Pregnancy: Evidence for Antibiotics and Alternatives, from Evidence Based Birth
- How microbes train our immune system
- Other Birthful episodes on the microbiome:
[mark]About Toni Harman[/mark]
Toni Harman is a documentary filmmaker turned author. Toni has spent the past 20 years producing and directing films including the documentaries DOULA!, FREEDOM FOR BIRTH and the multi-award winning documentary MICROBIRTH. Her extensive research for MICROBIRTH ignited a passion for the microbiome resulting in Toni co-authoring YOUR BABY’S MICROBIOME with her partner Alex Wakeford.
Find out more at Microbirth.com
*may contain affiliate links. This means that I may get a small percentage of what you buy, and that is one of the ways of helping me continue to do this podcast – Thank you!
Like the music on the podcast?:
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.