Today we’ll be talking about having a healthy plus-size pregnancy and birth. While the incidence of Cesareans, inductions and other interventions are higher for plus-size women, this does not have to be the case. Jen McLellan is here to share the 3 things that can help you have a fabulous experience, no matter your size. Plus, a special guest appearance from Barley, Reverend and Gus.
What we talked about:
- First things first: being plus-sized does NOT automatically make you high-risk
- The three keys to having a healthy plus size pregnancy
- Watching out for common vitamin deficiencies
- Practicing Intuitive Eating
- What you should know about weight gain during pregnancy
- Meeting with a size-friendly nutritionist: what does that mean?
- Easy ways to stay physically active, and why we love water aerobics
- What is a plus-size friendly provider?
- How do you find one?
- Learn about your state’s BMI restrictions
- Does your provider walk the talk? Things to look out for at your first visit
- Using your B.R.A.I.N. to advocate for yourself
- Helping baby get into a good position
- Working around care provider bias
- Loving your body, and tips to love it more!
Resources, links, and other great info:
- PlusSizeBirth.com – Jen’s website, where you will find solid information and amazing resources on exercise, maternity wear, breastfeeding, babywearing, cesareans, VBACs and much, much more.
- Jen’s Directory of Size Friendly Care Providers
- Women of Size and Cesarean Sections: Tips for Avoiding Unnecessary Surgery, from Our Bodies, Our Selves
- Size-Friendliness, A Message To Providers: How To Treat a Pregnant Woman, Regardless of Her Body Size, by Dawn Mantas
- SpinningBabies.com – for baby positioning
- BirthWithoutFearBlog.com – for normilizing birth, lots of body love and acceptance
- Changes in the position of epidural catheters associated with patient movement, research abstract (check it out if you are considering an epidural)
- naafa.org – National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance (NAAFA)
About Jen McLellan
Jen McLellan is a published author and certified childbirth educator who advocates for plus size women. She promotes positive information to empower healthy decision making during pregnancy. Within her blog, Plus Size Mommy Memoirs, she helps women navigate the world of plus size pregnancy, shares tips for embracing your body, and laughs along with the adventures of motherhood. Her work has been featured in major publications such as Yahoo Shine, Huffington Post, Everyday Feminism, and International Doula. Jen is also a skilled patient advocate, professional speaker, wife, and mother to a charismatic 5 year old.
Go to her website PlusSizeBirth.com for learn more, and for links to her Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest and YouTube outlets!
Go to PeachieMoms.com to find out more about her body love & dynamic mental health resources and community.
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.