The Birthful Podcast: Episode #71
What is a postpartum doula? How does she help smooth your transition as a family? Is she only helpful during the first few days? Can having one lessen your chances of postpartum mood disorders? What if you had a Cesarean, or your baby is extra sensitive? How can you find one? Jackie Kelleher tells us more.
To listen here, click the play button on the player above, or click the button below to listen in iTunes.
What we talked about:
- What is a postpartum doula (PP Doula)? What does she do? What doesn’t she do?
- The PP Doula “NEAR” mantra
- How is a PP Doula different from a night nurse or a nanny?
- How is a PP Doula helpful for the partner?
- When’s the best time to have the help of a PP Doula?
- Spreading your support
- How long does a PP Doula spend with a family?
- Can having a PP Doula help mitigate the chance of having postpartum mood disorders?
- Are PP Doula more helpful after a Cesarean birth, or if you have a colicky or more sensitive baby?
- Are PP Doula also helpful in the case of an adoption?
- What are some good questions to ask when interviewing a PP Doula?
- How much does a PP Doula cost?
- Jackie’s favorite postpartum tips: replenishing the nest, and more!
This episode is brought to you by Natural Breastfeeding,
and their FREE Quick Start Video. Go watch it at
Resources, links, and other great info:
(may contain affiliate/referral links)
- How a postpartum doula can help, from Baby Center
- DONA International Position Paper: The Postpartum Doula’s Role in Modern Maternity Care (downloadable PDF)
- CAPPA’s PPD Scope of Practice and Position Papers
- Postpartum Doula FAQs, from the Doula Services Association (British Columbia)
- 10 Reasons To Hire a Postpartum Doula, from Northeast Doulas
- A Postpartum Doula for Every Mother, by Allie Chee, for MidwiferyToday.com
- Why I Refused to Hire a Baby Nurse or Postpartum Doula, from Baby Caravan
- Nurturing the Family: The Guide for Postpartum Doulas, book by Jacqueline Kelleher
- Remembering Dr. John Kennell and His Great Contributions to Mothers and Babies Worldwide, from Science & Sensibility
Jackie Kelleher has been supporting growing families since 1996 as a birth and postpartum doula, childbirth educator, lactation counselor, doula trainer/mentor, and community volunteer. She served as the Director of Postpartum Services for DONA International and continues as DONA Postpartum Doula Mentor. She is the author of Nurturing The Family. In addition, she is a self-defense instructor and teaches classes on Boundary Setting and Personal Safety.
Find out more at her website: NurturingTheDoula.com
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.