The Birthful Podcast: Episode #76
We now know that babies are conscious while in womb. They can hear sounds, learn, form memories, and respond to your stress. So, can connecting with your baby before the birth, make for better pregnancies and healthier babies? And how do you go about doing that? Dr. Jay Warren tells us more, including how singing, talking, and playing with your baby makes a difference. Check it out.
To listen here, click the play button on the player above, or click the button below to listen in iTunes.
What we talked about:
- What is Prenatal and Perinatal Psychology?
- How does it relate to epigenetics?
- Your baby starts to hear sounds as early as 16-20 weeks in utero
- How does your baby respond to these sounds? How do they affect your baby?
- Ways to bond prenatally with your baby through sound.
- How your stress can impact your baby’s health
- The difference between occasional stress and chronic stress
- Ways to lessen your baby’s stress, and increase the connection between both of you
- Bonding: it’s not just for moms! How dads and partners can connect prenatally with baby
- Creating a relaxation cue for your baby
- Playing with your baby before the birth: the “follow the leader” game
- Do your attitude, thoughts, and feelings shape baby’s personality?
- Considering the baby’s birth experience
This episode is brought to you by Natural Breastfeeding,
and their FREE Quick Start Video. Go watch it at
Resources, links, and other great info:
- Hearing and listening in the womb, article with links to the research on the topic
- Singing to The Baby, video from The Penny Simkin YouTube Channel
- Resource guide of research papers on the “Psychobiology of Bonding and Attachment”, from Phyllis Klaus’ website.
- Maternal emotional states and prenatal care, from Michel Odent’s WombEcology.com
- Birthful episode with Penny Simkin on “Connecting With Your Baby in Utero”, (episode #36)
- Birthful episode with Karen Strange on “The Baby’s Birth Experience”, (episode #7)
- The Secret Life of the Unborn Child: How You Can Prepare Your Baby for a Happy, Healthy Life, book by Dr. Thomas Verny and John Kelly
Dr. Jay Warren has dedicated his career to helping people live happy and healthy lives and now specializes in wellness care for pregnant women and babies.
Dr. Jay practices at the CAP Wellness Center – a fully integrated, multi-disciplinary prenatal, post-partum and pediatric wellness center in San Diego, CA.
He is a member of the ICPA (International Chiropractic Pediatric Association), APPPAH (the Association or Pre and Perinatal Psychology and Health) and the host of the podcast “Healthy Births, Happy Babies”, where he talks to experts in the natural birth and holistic parenting field every week.
Dr. Jay also likes to enjoy an active lifestyle as a surfer, a yogi and a volleyball player – although he’s becoming more of a runner now that his son, Niko, is almost 3 years old!
Like the music on the podcast?:
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.