Whether you’re new to yoga, or have been doing it for years, prenatal yoga can be greatly beneficial during pregnancy and birth. It could even reduce the length of your labor! Listen as Deena Blumenfeld walks us through the ins and outs of prenatal yoga, in this episode of the Birthful podcast. Special guest appearance by her cat!
Powered by RedCircle
Listen directly through our website player, or however you usually listen to podcasts.
What we talked about:
- The expected and unexpected benefits of prenatal yoga
- Prenatal yoga as a confidence booster during labor
- How yoga can lessen depression and anxiety
- Prenatal yoga can make it hurt less!
- Did we mention shorter labors?
- Becoming comfortable in front of strangers
- Finding the right class: what to ask, and what to look out for
- When to transition from your regular class to a prenatal class
- My favorite hormone: relaxin
- What about hot yoga?
- Use that water bottle
- Does it feel better?
- Prenatal Yoga, Part 1 – Helping your Client Choose a Class, by Deena Blumenfeld for Science & Sensibility
- Prenatal Yoga, Part 2 – Breathing, Meditation and Relaxation, by Deena Blumenfeld for Science & Sensibility
- Choosing a Prenatal Yoga Class, by Deena Blumenfeld for Giving Birth with Confidence
- Prenatal Yoga: Integrating your Body and Mind: The Benefits of Yoga during Pregnancy, by Kathy Morelli of Birth Touch
- Could Yoga Lessen Prenatal Depression? from Brown University
Related Birthful episodes:
About Deena Blumenfeld
Deena H. Blumenfeld, ERYT, RPYT, LCCE guides women from fertility through pregnancy and childbirth and into early parenthood with grace and confidence. Through her dynamic childbirth classes and her empowering prenatal yoga classes, she gives mothers the tools they need for a confident birth and transition to parenthood.
Deena also regularly facilitates professional development workshops for both yoga and childbirth professionals. Her Prenatal Yoga Teacher training offers yoga instructors full insight into a pregnant woman’s experience and helps yoga teachers develop compassion and skills for leading prenatal yoga classes. Her Lamaze training gifts trainees with the tools and wherewithal to deftly teach childbirth educator classes for all mothers.
She is a Certified Prenatal Yoga Teacher and Lamaze® Certified Childbirth Educator, Lamaze Trainer and the owner and principal educator at Shining Light Prenatal Education in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Deena is also the mom of two kids who keep her on her toes!
You can reach her through the Shining Light website.
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.