The rebozo is a magical tool than can help you connect with your partner during labor, ground you when things get intense, and even calm and help center your children when they are overwhelmed. It also carries history and tradition. Gena Kirby is back to tell us more.
To listen here, click the play button on the player above, or click the button below to listen in iTunes.
What we talked about:
- What the heck is a rebozo?
- Using the rebozo during labor to connect with your partner
- Your new security blanket
- Beyond the labor room: helping your children relax and feel grounded
- How the rebozo can even help heal a broken heart
- Wrapping of the shoulders for grounding
- The rebozo “tent” technique: for pregnancy, labor, and as an alternative to time out
- The rebozo “blindfold” technique: good in time of transitions
- Integrating the rebozo in your bedtime routine
- Benefits of using it often
- The rebozo as a tool for immediate intimacy
Resources, links, and other great info:
- What is a Rebozo?, video by Gena Kirby
- Rebozos in Pregnancy & Birth, from Birthing Basics
- Comfort Measures for Childbirth: Let’s do it with a Rebozo, gallery of photos by Patti Ramos
- Rebozo for Doulas Moms and their Partners, Facebook Community for all things rebozo
- The Original Rebozo Way How-to, from http://nurturingacrosscultures.org
- Link to more info about Gena’s Book “Rebozo Me Mommy” – includes a video with Gena doing the blindfold technique on one of her kids
About Gena Kirby
Gena Kirby is on a mission. She wants parents to know what they aren’t being told and that they are not alone in their struggles in parenting. She is a tireless advocate for parents, babies and the people that love them.
Gena is a Doula, Childbirth Educator and a La Leche League International Breastfeeding Peer Counselor. She served on the Board of Directors for Attachment Parenting International for 5 years and is the ex President of Texans for Midwifery. She is the founder of Austin Birth Advocates (now known as DAP Doulas Advocating for Parents). Gena was awarded the Mommies Matter award by the Childbirth Resource Network in Fresno California in 2007. Gena is a Rotary Scholar and was the recipient of the 2015 Jeannine Parvati Memorial Rising Star Birth Keeper award.
Gena is now in her 10th year as host of Progressive Parenting Radio, which started out on local AM and FM stations in Fresno California and is now in it’s 6th year on the internet as a podcast. She also hosts various themed shows on her YouTube channel. Her work has been published in numerous magazines and newspapers. Gena is a doula trainer and has had the pleasure of teaching over 1,300 students (midwives, nurses, doctors, doulas and parents). She is an international speaker and has the pleasure of meeting people she admires all around the world.
Gena was born in California and has lived in Pamplona Spain, Austin Texas and now resides in Albuquerque New Mexico with her husband and four children.
Learn more about her at GenaKirby.com or follow the conversation on Facebook (/MsGenaKirby)
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.