The Birthful Podcast: Episode #118
Creating a baby registry can be downright panic producing, but contrary to what the thousands of products out there would have you believe, you really don’t actually need that much. So how do you know what to get and when to get it? Megan Whitaker tells us more. Check it out!
To listen here, click the play button on the player above, or click the button below to listen in iTunes.
What we talked about:
- What to consider before starting YOUR registry
- Minimalist does not equal cheap
- Narrowing down your big-ticket items
- What’s it’s “shelf-life”?
- How will you know if baby will like it?
- Things vs. services
- The amazingness that is the “sip-and-see”
- Resisting the urge to stockpile
- Narrowing down your “must-haves”
- Survey says: will you spend $500? $1200? $3000? More?
- Practice being flexible… even for your registry
Additional resources and articles*:
- Baby Center’s Infant Cost Calculator – Simple way to see what different choices will cost long term (like formula, child-care or type of diapers) plus add up one-time purchases.
- The Cost of Raising a Baby, by Parenting.com
- The Cost of Raising a Child, from the USDA’s “Expenditures on Children by Families, 2015 report
- We Decided We Didn’t Want To Be Wealthy (Or Even Above The Poverty Line), article by Megan Whitaker
- Megan’s blog: goingcrunchynotcrazy.com
- A Look-see at a Sip and See, from Parenting.com
- How To Throw An Awesome Sip And See Party, from The Bump
- The Haakaa , the NatureBond, and other Silicone Breast “Pumps”, along with Milkies and LactiCups
- Naturalbreastfeeding.com – breastfeeding resource mentioned by Megan (has great free video)
- Professional Bill Reduction Services (used by Megan) – If you want to try and reduce the cost of things like cable, but don’t want to deal with the hours of phone calls, this service will do it all for you. They just take part of what you save.
- BabyList Registry (registry service used by Megan) – Put anything from any store (even Etsy and online boutiques) on the list PLUS register for “non-stuff” like meals, cleaning services and more.
JOIN ME FOR UPCOMING WORKSHOPS
IN CHARLOTTE, NC & BUFFALO, NY
Related podcast episodes:
- Birth Finances, with Nate Dallas (Episode #95)
- Elimination Communication, with Andrea Olson (Episode #60)
[icon name=”sign-in”] My (Birthful) new baby essentials!: click here to read
… or CREATE YOUR OWN registry through Amazon and get 10-15% off!
(A one-time 10% discount (up to 15% for Amazon Prime members, compliments of Amazon Family) is offered on select items from your registry, 60 days before your child’s arrival date).
[mark]About Megan Whitaker[/mark]
Megan Whitaker is a former pediatric nurse turned hippie mom from Nashville TN. She and her husband decided to change their lives 3 years ago and cut 65% of their income to pursue their dreams. Her husband’s now in graduate school for youth ministry and she is a stay at home mom and wellness blogger. Her passion is teaching new and expectant moms about nutrition, non-toxic living, holistic health and doing it all on a (very) small budget. You can find out more about her at www.goingcrunchynotcrazy.com
*May contain affiliate links. This means that I may get a small percentage of what you buy, and that is one of the ways of helping me continue to do this podcast – Thank you!
Like the music on the podcast?:
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.