In this episode of the Birthful podcast, we’re going to be talking about tongue ties and lip ties. If you have no idea what those are, you’re in luck, because Dianne Cassidy will tells us all about them, along with why there seems to be a tongue tie resurgence, how they can affect your best intentions when it comes to lactation, and what you can do about it.
Powered by RedCircle
Listen directly through our website player, or however you usually listen to podcasts.
What we talked about:
- What are tongue and lip ties?
- Is it a fad, or is there higher awareness now?
- Why are they a problem for nursing?
- Beyond bodyfeeding: other tongue and lip tie problems
- How babies try to compensate for a tongue tie
- Signs of a tongue tie
- Is there an ideal time to identify a tongue tie?
- Procedures to correct tongue and lip ties
- Taking care of a tongue tie after a laser procedure
- Do nipple shields mask tongue ties?
- Bonus: epidurals and their effect on lactation
- Breastfeeding USA website, which has info on tongue and lip ties
- Tongue and Lip Ties, Breastfeeding Basics
- Feed the Baby blog
About Dianne Cassidy
Dianne is a lactation consultant in Rochester, New York with an advanced lactation certification. She works in private practice, and in a busy pediatric office. In the fall of 2013, Dianne completed a master’s degree in Health and Wellness/Lactation.
Dianne became interested in lactation consultation after nursing her own children, which includes a set of twins. She’s spent thousands of hours working with new parents and babies, and has the unique ability to identify with their needs and concerns.
Dianne has worked extensively with babies struggling with tethered oral tissues, those who have experienced birth trauma, are having milk supply issues, problems with attachment and latch, parents who are returning to work, and those feeding multiples.
She also teaches prenatal lactation and childbirth classes in the hospital setting, is working on her second book, and goes around the world speaking to other lactation professionals about how to support new families through their bodyfeeding struggles.
You can contact Dianne by e-mail, learn more at diannecassidyconsulting.com, or join the conversation on Facebook.
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.