For a lot of people, the idea of gaining weight -even if for such a fabulous cause as pregnancy- can be stressful. Genevieve Howland is here to talk about ways you can tackle your anxiety, triggers, and body image issues as well how to easily establish good nutrition habits that can serve you past pregnancy and postpartum. Check it out!
To listen here, click the play button on the player above, or click the button below to listen in iTunes.
What we talked about:
- Ways to deal with the anxiety of gaining weight during pregnancy
- Some potential triggering events
- Dealing with body image issues
- Setting up your support team
- Focusing on nutrition instead of calories
- Eating nutritiously during pregnancy
- The importance of good fats, complex carbs, protein and hydration
- The Brewer Diet to lessen risk of preeclampsia and gestational diabetes
- Benefits of red raspberry leaf tea, when to drink it, and when not to
- Difference between folate and folic acid, and why you want the first one
- Listening to your cravings
- Supporting your digestive system with fermented foods
- Genevieve’s digestive aid
- Developing your baby’s palate
Fabulous resources and articles*:
- Genevieve’s new book: The Mama Natural Week to Week Guide to Pregnancy & Childbirth
- ACOG’s Committee Opinion on Weight Gain During Pregnancy
- Pregnancy and Eating Disorders, from the American Pregnancy Association
- What to Expect if You Become Pregnant and Have an Eating Disorder, from EatingDisorderHope.com
- Pregnancy and Eating Disorders, from NationalEatingDisorders.org
- 4th Trimester Bodies Project
- Multivitamin Supplementation During Pregnancy: Emphasis on Folic Acid and l-Methylfolate (research highlighting the folate vs. folic acid difference)
- All about the Brewer Pregnancy Diet
- Red Raspberry Leaf Tea In Pregnancy, from BellyBelly
- Urban Moonshine’s Chamomile Digestive Bitters
Related Birthful episodes:
- Why Breastfeeding a Newborn is Different, with Theresa Nesbitt
- Nutrition during Pregnancy, with Amy V. Haas
About Genevieve Howland
With over sixty million views on her YouTube channel, Genevieve Howland’s funny but informational videos have empowered millions of women to embrace natural pregnancy and parenting. Now Howland is turning to the page, offering up the first ever week-to-week pregnancy book from a natural perspective.
The Mama Natural Week to Week Guide to Pregnancy & Childbirth is the modern (and yet ancient) approach to pregnancy and childbirth. “Natural” recognizes that pregnancy and birth are normal, and that having a baby is a wondrous biological process and rite of passage—not a medical condition. Full of weekly advice and tips, Howland covers vital pregnancy nutrition, natural remedies for common concerns, as well as the appropriate (and inappropriate) use of medical interventions.
Peppered throughout are positive birth and pregnancy stories from women of all backgrounds (and all stages of their natural journey) along with advice and insights from a Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM) plus a Registered Nurse (RN), doula, and lactation consultant.
Learn more at MamaNatural.com
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.