The Birthful Podcast: Summer Birth Stories 2016 #10
We’ve arrived at the last episode of our “Birth Stories” for the summer series! Today, Jaime Hitt tells us about her VBAC, and all the ways she prepared differently than for her first birth in order to make it happen, including and unexpected external cephalic version. Check it out.
Powered by RedCircle
Some of what we talked about:
- Realizing that her cesarean was unnecessary
- What Jaime did differently to prepared for her VBAC
- The difference between a VBAC tolerant and a VBAC supportive provider
- Dealing with a slow to start birth
- … and then baby was breech!!
- “Walking the baby out”
- The double edge sword of internal vaginal checks
- Regrouping, regathering, and finding her resolve with the help of her husband
- Changing your plan and coming to terms that you need an epidural
- Getting much needed rest for what’s to come
- Letting baby move down the birth canal with “passive descent”
- Enjoying that golden hour (and how different it was from her first birth)
Links to some of the resources and other fun stuff mentioned on the show:
- Ican-online.org – The International Cesarean Awareness Network
- Finding a VBAC Supportive OB or Midwife, from VBAC Facts
- What your labor patterns can tell you, by Gail Tully/Spinning Babies
- What is the Evidence for Induction or C-section for a Big Baby?, from Evidence Based Birth
- What is the Evidence for using an External Cephalic Version to turn a Breech Baby?, from Evidence Based Birth
- Link to the explanation of how the Nineties Song “Closing Time” Isn’t About the End of a Night Out, as Jaime mentioned in the show, and also to the song. If you’re short on time, start listening at 3:44.
Related Birthful episodes:
- Self-Hypnosis for Pain Management, with Julietta Appleton
- Delayed Cord Clamping, with Dr. Mark Sloan
- Chiropractic Care, with Dr. Elliot Berlin
- Eating During Labor, with Rebecca Dekker
- Choosing Your Care Provider, with Robin Elise Weiss
All photos courtesy of Jaime Hitt
Get Your FREE Postpartum Plan!
Sign up to get access to my NEW Postpartum Prep. Plan to help you prepare for life with a newborn! You'll also get updates from me from time to time.